3rd water pump in 55,000 miles! Cracked coolant res? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3rd water pump in 55,000 miles! Cracked coolant res?

Wow, I am going on a trip coming up real soon... and when going over my truck I discovered I was a little low on coolant. I went looking for the source of the leak and found a crack in my coolant res and then I found coolant under the nose of the water pump!!! I changed the pump when I bought it at 100 k miles, then changed it again around 140k and now I have this leaker at 155k! I put in a NAPA pump so it's warrantied. I installed a coolant filter and it hasn't clogged one filter yet so I don't think it's that. I would guess the only thing left would be the fan?? Common cause of wasting pumps? So I have to replace the fan, what does that cost?? Any fast options?

What about having a dealer do the pump because I don't have much time? Any idea how many hours they charge for that?

What about the crack in the res? Anyone's res look like this? Should I worry??
Damn this sucks. Thanks for advice -
Scott
3rd water pump in 55,000 miles! Cracked coolant res?-20130608_120624.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Posting to hopefully help someone in the future - Today I called around to a few dealers that had parts counters open and they all immediately suggested replacing the fan clutch. It's a spendy part, 329 bucks or so. I picked up a res too, 96 bucks. Good thing the water pump is covered by NAPA warranty. If I wasn't in a hurry I would have set up some type of electric fan setup.
As for the crack in the res, you can see that the red coolant was deep in that crack so I wanted to play it safe there too - it is holding pressure so...

I had to jump on the parts today because the dealers were closed tomorrow and I really didn't want to wait until Monday!
Anyone else replace the fan clutch to fix this? Seems like an insanely high priced part to me. Maybe it will give me better MPG!

Thanks -
SCott
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
maybe info too late but my local autozone had the fan for a little less than $200. hopefully that fixes the problem
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm going with the motorcraft parts and putting it back together today. Anyone have experience with the one piece thermostat + gasket??? Can you re-use these? It seems good but I am not a fan of re-using gaskets. Can't find a one piece anywhere around me, and I won't put in the old style two part gasket. I can probably grab one from the ford dealer tomorrow morning.

Reuse or no?>

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.