Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Click, Click, No start

876 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  TD444EVER 
#1 ·
2002 f350, intake, exhaust, edge tuner,

Drove the truck to lowes, drove fine, on the way home the glow plug light came on. Shut it off and wouldnt restart, just single "click"s each time the key is turned. Batteries are brand new (bought last night), brand new glow plug relay (bought 2 last night fml, FYI dont over tighten the posts :doh:), all fuses are good. Tach works fine, everything works fine, i can hear all the usual sounds when you turn the key on. GPR is functioning properly. I wrapped on the starter a couple times with a hammer hoping it was bound. One time when i turned it i heard a slow turn/grow from the starter. Im thinking its bound up. All cables are good, no bad grounds, terminals good, its a pavement pounder for the most part.

P.S. ive had this problem in the winter time on cold cold days (started a thread last winter) , usually 2 or 3 turn clicks and it would finally engage and start. Also, a while back my starter wasnt engaging (i thought), but basically it had one bolt left holding it in, so i would say it might have got thrashed around for a while

You guys think the starter is bad? How can i check that solenoid on the starter? can i cross that bad boy with a screwdriver/ and or test it with a multimeter?

i love spending 400 dollars and not fixing my problem lol kind of a rush cuz now my gf is walking to work :dis: and aint nobody got time for that!

See less See more
#2 ·
also, i can hear the click in the starter relay under the dash so that rules out the ignition switch correct?

tonight im going to test the starter solenoid using the plug in the engine bay and i will check the nuetral safety switch on the transmission

my GPR was fine :doh:, i was panicking cuz we need 2 rigs for work, failed to use my multi-meter correctly :dunce:and assess the problem from the get go, so should i keep that spare in the truck? curious if thats a common "side of the road" problem

this is the first problem ive had with my truck. I bought it with 80k miles and put about 40k on it, love my ford

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.