Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

weird vibration/grinding noise at 1500 rpm

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  blue72 
#1 ·
Ok guys its been a reaaallllllyyyyy long time. Just haven't had any trouble and life gets in the way of the things. Any way three weeks ago I started having a vibration/grinding noise just before 1500 and you can feel it in the floor, pedals and steering wheel. Does it in park neutral and drive. Most noticeably in first gear leaving a stop and overdrive just as it shifts into overdrive. It feels like your driving on gravel is the best I can describe it. Things I've checked- motor and trans mounts, ok - things rubbing frame, no harmonic balancer, looks ok, not leaking -oil, correct level- trans fluid, a little high- new fuel and air filter, no codes. I did add hot shot secret four or five weeks ago. The truck honestly is running better than it has in several years. My fuel mileage is way up from 8mpg and it shifts into fourth and stays until it needs to shift. Normally its more like 1........2..........3...4...od. Not an issue right now. Just the vibration. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I may be having the same issue. my front end sounds like a tire is rubbing if u turn too tight with oversized wheels w/ no lift. it will do that until about 15 mph then stop and start again when coming to a stop. it will then shake at about 30-45 mph. I was checking the suspension and realized I have a lot of play in my drag link. I'm almost certain it would be the ball joints on it but still not too sure. Maybe this will help with your issue?

#3 ·
I checked and greased the front end last night. I don't think that would be it since it does it in park and neutral as well as driving. Your issue kinda sounds like a wheel bearing. Not sure about the shaking though.

#5 ·
I thought that too but from what I found it would sound like pennies in a can rattling at idle. This is only at between 1300 and 1500 rpm. But that would probably explain it doing it when it shifts into od. Maybe the clutch slipping a little.

#6 ·
Ok I've done some google'n and along with dannanw's thought I think it might be t/c shudder. But I'm not sure, so, as I was poking around the webiverse I ran across lubegard. I think I might try that. Seems to be known to help with the shudder (I'd that's what I've got) along with other things and it seems that many shops use it on rebuilds. I'll check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.