Help diagnose my truck's problem !!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Help diagnose my truck's problem !!!!!

I need help diagnosing a problem. I have a 2000 F-350 crew cab 4x4 w/7.3L practically stock other than a leveling kit and 315 tires. I had to replace the high pressure oil pump seal and primary fuel pump seal in 2009. The guy said it was the first time he had replace the seals, usually it was a bad pump he replaced. This was about the time the price of a gallon of diesel was so high, so I put stock tires back on it for better MPG. But since the replacement of the seals the truck has not had the power it did or got the MPGs it did with stock tires. It use to launch you back in the seat with a little more foot to the pedal, now it is a slow steady acceleration that does not set you back in the seat like it once did. I also usually pull a 16 ft livestock trailer with about 5500 to 6500 lbs live weight to the stockyard. Pulling light grades the pedal to the floor 55 mph, no turbo kicking in, the truck will pull but lacking ½ to 2/3 the power it use to have. I have had it checked by a former ford diesel tech that opened his own shop and builds pulling trucks. He said the truck met all factory specs, the only thing he could find was a fault in the 8th injector pressure fluctuating, so we put a new injector in it but no change. He suggested a programmer might bring it back to life. So I decided to make some changes to help then to. I had him put on a diamond eye dual 4 in. exhaust and a Volant cold air intake and radcliff’s oil and fuel crossover lines. Well I tried three of SCT’s programmers and a Hypertech programmer. I had the best results out of hypertech with a lot lower rpms, but harder to start with the truck programmed on either programmer and still no power increase. I took it to a Ford dealer and had the computer reflashed, no different. Recently while inquiring about my problem, someone mentioned the high pressure oil pump may have gotten out of time when the seals were replaced, another person said it could be a torque convertor getting weak, another guy questioned the turbo not kicking in or a waste gate. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem is or has anyone experienced the same problem and what can I do to fix it? I would like to get the truck fixed back to its orginal power then try to get a little more power with a programmer or chip. I would appreciate any ideas on what is causing it and how to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

To me, it sounds like the first thing you need are some gauges, and since you aren't running properly, I would get a CTS type that let's you check multiple parameters.

The turbo doesn't rely on any sensors to spin up. It requires a simple difference in pressure between intake and exhaust. If you're not building boost, you have a leak on one side or the other. Check your CAC boots, check for the soot indication of exhaust leaks. You may need to build a pressure tester for the whole intake system, but check the easy stuff first.

As far as the "kick you back in your seat" feeling, if you were having that, then the previous owner had the PCM programmed. A stock 7.3 will set you back about as hard as a BMX bike. If you've ever driven a Geo Metro, you've felt more g-force. They're strong as all get out, but speed wasn't their thing.

If your waste gate is stuck, you should hear it in the exhaust at idle. There are a couple of videos on here that show a stuck waste gate. When you do decide to chip it, don't go with the stuff you find in magazines. PHP, TW, DP, Beans, and a few others are respectable tuners that will give you performance, without the negative side effects that big box programmers bring with them.

Without gauges installed so you can actually see what the truck is doing, it's all guess work. What I like about my Insight CTS is the ease of which I can view several items. I constantly monitor ICP, EGT, IPR, TFT, EOT, boost, and a few other things. But, watching those will let me know if something catastrophic is about to happen, as well as help me figure out a problem that does happen.

*Ninja Edit* Pull your intake and check your turbo wheel. Quick and easy to do, and if the wheel is all chewed up, that would be the cause of no boost.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Arrow

Ok, first I bought the truck new, no previous owner, truck was running stock, with 315/75/16 tires. I just recently added the dual exhaust and cold air intake in Aug. 2012. No programmer or anything until Aug. 2012. Also added the Edge insight CTS you were talking about, not thew programmer, just the monitorng guages. I tried SCT's iTSX and the new Livewire with no results, had problems communicating with the truck. Running stock with the 315 tires it had an insane amount of power. It was like the kind of power out of a 440 Hemi or 454 Chevelle SS. It would lauch you back into the seat at half pedal. I could turn onto a on ramp to the interstate press the pedal down easy half way and would be doing 90 mph at the end of the ramp on to the interstate. But since they changed the HPO seal it seems to have maybe half the power it once did.

Last edited by tnmtnmn; 06-06-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i know theres 2- types of hpop seals. One with and w/out a screen. Possibly, you installed the wrong one?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Okay, you have some good info you can give us then.

At idle what is your ICP and IPR? On WOT?

What boost are you seeing on WOT runs? Not what are you feeling, but what is the truck saying you're making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.