Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3L Coolant Leak

22K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
I had a pretty bad coolant leak about a month ago so I got it the water pump replaced in my truck, since it had 140,000 miles when I bought the thing I figured that a new pump was a good idea anyways. But now I come out to my car after just whipping to 7-11 to find another big puddle of coolant in the same place, I also took some pictures of the leak, it is right behind the elbow piece that connects to the water pump

imgur: the simple image sharer

thank you guys, help is appreciated

#2 ·
so it isnt leaking from somewhere up top?
im not sure how its getting over on the other parts unless its coming out under pressure and spraying there.
if its coming from the elbow pull it off and put some rtv sealant on there.
if its from up top id say its from the factory thermostat housing which is a common leak.
dieselsite makes a billet thermostat housing that will never leak from warping.

#3 ·
no the leak goes directly down and it constantly drips on I wanna say the control arm? something running off the suspension (even when not running) also there is now splash upwards with the coolant, before I would see coolant all over everything if I ran it

#5 ·
super easy.
10-20 minute job.
ya sometimes its hard to see where the coolant is leaking from.

#6 ·
so wait that is the termostat? behind the elbow piece on the water pump, and yeah it kinda just looks like its leaking from there, but would replacing the thermostat be the only way, and what causes this to happen so I can know for the future? thank you so much blue stroker

#7 ·
no the elbow piece is just for the lower radiator hose. that is a very common leak spot though.
take the elbow off and put rtv sealant where the gasket should be.
let the rtv cure for atleast 12 hours. longer if possible.
the thermostat is actually on top ill try and attach an image.
edit im dumb and dont know how to attach stuff.
just type in thermostat housing 7.3 on google and youll get the pic you need.

gaskets just suck sometimes lol

#10 ·
oh geez now i can tell where you are leaking from.
thats the oil cooler.
the orings are probably dry rotted lol
dieselorings sells a kit thats includes all the orings and gaskets for that its 70 bucks.

#12 ·
haha ya.
im sure someone has some write up on here.
let me know how it goes.

oh and if you change your coolant you can go with an elc coolant.
i got mine from tractor supply its called fleet charge or i think. about 80 bucks total including buying distilled water and the coolant is good for 300k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.