Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 F350 Power Stroke 7.3 Problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 F350 7.3L DIESEL. I used my Superchip micro tune code reader to troubleshoot an issue and found a DTC# 03-P1690 which - Waste Gate Control Valve Error Code. I can clear this code only to have it re-appear as soon as I start the truck.
I don't use the truck much anymore because the fuel mileage went from 22+ MPG to under 12 MPG; the truck has a Service Engine light on and is hard to start. When it does start it bellows thick white smoke from the cranking diesel buildup - the smoke completely goes away after warming up.
The truck then runs rough and is extremely underpowered like it is running on 5 cylinders - (I guess from the waste gate issue), though there are times when driving down the highway the service engine light goes away, the truck has all the power it had new, and runs smooth until I let off the peddle then the service engine light comes back on and the truck runs badly again...
I thought the problem with the hard starting was from bad glow plugs and I replaced the Gplugs with new Bosch Gplugs. The issues did not go away.
A while back I replace the vacuum hoses going to the waste gate due to rodent damage.
Is there a waste Gate control module that needs attention or just the valve?
Do you think, by the description I’ve given, that the waste gate is bad?
I do not want to waste money I don’t have to spare by throwing parts at this problem and if so how hard is it to install.
By my description, do you have any suggestions and/or leading questions that can help me?
Please email me if you can help; mvisteel@telebyte.com
Best Regards, Lee
06-02-2013 4:20 PM PST

See less See more
#2 ·
The WG being bad will not do what you're describing. All it does is let exhaust bypass the turbo and therefore limits the boost you can build.
You might have multiple issues with high pressure oil, fuel pressure, or injector electronics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.