Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Leaking fuel tank

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BrownianHeatingTech 
#1 ·
Just noticed a pretty significant leak from the fuel tank when I was filling the truck.

The back of the tank (where the fill and vent lines connect) is dry. Oil is spilling from the front of the tank, and appears (as best I could see without getting under the truck) to be coming from the pickup assembly.

I'm assuming it's the gasket for the whole assembly, but maybe there's something else that could be leaking?

For reference, I run biodiesel, and the truck is a 2002 with almost 190k on the odometer. So it's entirely possible that the combination of age and the solvent action of the biodiesel has caused some gasket or o-ring to fail... I just want to make sure I know which parts to have ready when I drop the tank.

#3 ·
It only leaked during/after the fill, and stopped leaking after I put a few miles on it, so I think the feed/return lines can't be the issue, or they would have continued to leak.

I'm just wondering if it's the big gasket, or if there are other fittings in that top plate that could be leaking. For example, the wiring pass-through for the fuel level sensor - is that a fitting, or is it solidly formed into the plate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.