delaminating tank liner and rust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
delaminating tank liner and rust

first post! so i've lurked around here for awhile reading and learning. this site is awesome to say the least! so here's my issue. i've got a 2000 drw cab and chassis truck with the 40 gallon aft axle metal tank. i've had some problems recently with lack of power, low fuel pressure. pulled the sending unit, cleaned the strainers, blew out fuel lines, cleaned fuel bowl, replaced the filter about a month ago. this worked great for awhile but slowly the problem returned so saturday i dropped the tank and i'm delaminating bad, alot of rust in the delaminated areas. now the cheapest replacement tank i can find is 700 clams and i don't have it. so my question is if anyone has tried a tank coating system and if it worked? like Kreem or Por-15, something like that. another thing i was thinking is i can get a 30 gallon tank (the long tank)for about 200 but i don't know if my sending unit will fit. i cleaned the tank as best i could, cleaned lines, sending unit strainers, fuel bowl, and put everything back together. runs like a champ right now but it's just a matter of time before i will have to do it again. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh another thing i was wondering is if i did the hutch mod would the over sized filter be able to handle the delamination and rust enough were i could just replace the filter every month or so? uploaded a picture of the delaminated particles i strained from the fuel when emptying the tank. i also have a video i took of the inside of the tank but the site won't let me upload it. i dont think mp4 format is supported here.
Attached Thumbnails
delaminating tank liner and rust-2013-05-26-12.45.16.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The hutch mod should work for a somewhat fix. You can do away with the filtration in the tank and just change the much cheaper frame rail filter rather than the expensive stock filter under the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

I don't think a hutch mod and filter would be a good idea. When these tanks start delaminating and rusting your talking about alot of debris and a filter would stop up quick. We have had good look with a radiator shop coating our tanks but i dont know what they use. I have used an Eastwood fuel tank coating system and it worked good its just an involved process of cleaning and several days of drying. Titan makes a plastic replacement tank but it is expensive. If it were me I think I would just spring for the plastic tank and never have to worry about it again.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselflash View Post
I don't think a hutch mod and filter would be a good idea. When these tanks start delaminating and rusting your talking about alot of debris and a filter would stop up quick. We have had good look with a radiator shop coating our tanks but i dont know what they use. I have used an Eastwood fuel tank coating system and it worked good its just an involved process of cleaning and several days of drying. Titan makes a plastic replacement tank but it is expensive. If it were me I think I would just spring for the plastic tank and never have to worry about it again.
yes, putting a new tank would be the right thing to do if the money wasn't an issue i would do it asap. do you have any figures for what the radiator shop charges for the service?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go with the smaller poly tank for 200 clams.....no more worries.
Maybe one of the partout trucks on here u could pickup a used factory tank????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
delaminating, fuel tank, loss of power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.