Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 7.3 wont crank...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JSchuricht 
#1 ·
So my truck wont crank or start unless its jumped started, it has brand new batteries, starter and alternator. It started like a new truck for the last week then all of a sudden volt gauge shows 8v and got nothing at all, so i got it jumped started and it fired right up but as soon as i removed the jumper cable the gauge went back to 8 volts. I drove home and when i tried it again the gauge was fluctuating between 8 and 12 volts and everything was flashing on then off again as the gauge was fluctuating. I tried a jumper cable from battery to battery, from battery to starter, from battery to alternator and finally from battery to starter solenoid on the right side fender and nothing was changing. Can anyone help me ? Thanks !

#2 ·
You need to forget about the meeter on the dash and use a multimeter. The meeters on the dash arn't much better than a idiot light. Disconnect each battery, see what the voltage is then charge each up seperately so they are atleast 12v. Connect them to the truck and start it, check the voltage again after the truck has been running for >2 minutes, you should be about 14v at each battery. If your only 12v or so then you have a charging issue. Check all the connections on the alternator then take it out and get it tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.