Need help....Please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Need help....Please

Ok, On the ride home today, my truck started actin up. If I hit a bump (patched hole, seams between lanes, or seams in the bridge) it will start making a grinding/vibration noise. (My guess is wheel bearings, but I dunno with these real trucks) And if I roll down the window, I hear grinding like something is touchin the rotor. I would normally guess wheel bearings, but I've never been able to stop a wheel bearing from making the noise in other things. Bad u joint? Bearing? Something worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

sounds like a wheel bearing....when they go really bad they will pitch the wheel and rotor so hard the rotor will grind on the caliper shackle sometimes....but a bad wheel bearing can grind pretty bad just on its own too
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I would jack the front end up. Then I put the front end on some jackstands. Then I would remove the front tires. Then inspect the ball joints, brakes, front suspension. I suggest this because it is basically free. Most likely you will find the problem this way. As it could be wheel bearings, or a bad ball joint or a combination of things. But the only way to find out is to do an inspection of the front end. If you find nothing wrong in the front then do the same in the rear. The rear is easier to inspect, as it has less parts. But you would need to inspect the u-joints, center support bearing, and brakes.

If you find nothing from your inspection. Then take it to a tire shop and have the tires ballanced and rotated. As you may have damaged a tire or threw a tire off ballance.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 PM

I'll take it to my shop in the morning, They'll run through it, I just want to know where to direct them. I've brought it to them 3 times now for problems with the front end. So far they've replaced sway bar links, and warrantied the sway bar bushings. I still feel there is something wrong. whats bearings normally run on these things?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM

BTW, I can also STOP the noise by hitting these bumps also. Hittin the brakes doesn't stop the noise. I either would have to hit a bump to stop the noise, or pull over, and it will stop below 30mph.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01excursion7.3 View Post
BTW, I can also STOP the noise by hitting these bumps also. Hittin the brakes doesn't stop the noise. I either would have to hit a bump to stop the noise, or pull over, and it will stop below 30mph.
sounds like a wheel bearing
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help. This one of those things that if you do one, you do them both?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01excursion7.3 View Post
Thanks for the help. This one of those things that if you do one, you do them both?
If your going to do the wheelbearings. I suggest you do both driver/passenger side. Becuase if one is bad, the other is bad or going to be in a short time.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM

At $450 a pop, I just did the one that needed it. I'll do the other when it goes bad. It one thing to budget in order to buy mods, it's another when you have already spent the mod money, and you need a repair.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

BTW, thanks, it made for a quick morning, went in, told em what I thought, and they weren't sure, told em to check it closer. Yup, bearing gone. Needed the whole hub assembly, and got the only one with a lifetime warranty, and it was from napa. Combine that with a lifetime warranty on the labor, if it goes again, I don't pay a dime, and I'm still ahead of the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.