Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad injector question

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  outlaw8950 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 2001 7.3 Crew Cab Long wheel base 4x4 that i want to figure out before it lays down on me completely.

If i let my truck sit overnight or for a long period of time to where the engine cools completely it will not run after cranking it unless I let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes until it warms to operating temperature.

If I try to pull out before it warms up it will have no power and spit and sputter and go dead. It then takes cycling the glow plugs a few times and cranking on it forever to get it to start back and then it idles like crap and billows white smoke until it warms up. Like I said if I crank it first thing and let it warm up it idles fine.

I've been told that the pintles on the injectors are bad and I need to replace the injector but as much as they cost I want to know exactly whats wrong before I spend a fortune and it not be fixed.

Give me some educated guesses, I sure would like to know what's going on.

#3 ·
I thought of the EBPV but I haven't crawled up on it to see if it's closed. I haven't pulled the codes lately but the cel isn't on. I was told by a friend of mine that's a diesel mechanic at the stealership that it's more than likely the injector pintles going bad.

Would bad O-rings or bad cups cause this?

#4 ·
Would bad O-rings or bad cups cause this?
The tough answer is yes to both. It can be either. I'm tackling an injector problem myself. I'm in the process of changing o rings myself.

#6 ·
Mine didn't die like yours but bad sputters amongst other issues and I don't even want to start the list of items I've replaced combating this problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.