Help! My diesel is sucking up fuel! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! My diesel is sucking up fuel!

Hey, I have a 2001 F250 7.3L, I was getting about 6 miles to the gallon, so I replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, got a fresh oil change, and added diesel kleen into a full tank to clean the injectors. I thought it was working for awhile until my tripometer read about 105 miles to a half a tank...

Does anyone have any ideas of why my truck would be getting this bad of mileage unloaded?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 06Blackmamba Send a message via Yahoo to 06Blackmamba
wow thats bad like really bad! ummm you sure your not dreaming and your driving a pete? lol jk idk maybe you have a fuel leak at the tank or a line or maybe one set of injectors are fryed whats all done to the truck how many miles and I guess theres a recall on CPS here on 1999 to 2002 so yeah might want to look into that

Last edited by 06Blackmamba; 03-04-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Blackmamba View Post
wow thats bad like really bad! ummm you sure your not dreaming and your driving a pete? lol jk idk maybe you have a fuel leak at the tank or a line or maybe one set of injectors are fryed whats all done to the truck how many miles and I guess theres a recall on CPS here on 1999 to 2002 so yeah might want to look into that
recall is on 97-03.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
regardless of the cps recal. that is not the problem here. a few things we need to know is how big are your tires? with bigger tires you will actualy be traveling more miles than the tripometer thinks you are going giving you inacurate/low fuel economy numbers. how long are you letting your truck warm up? one hour of ideling is about the same as 30 miles of driving with our trucks also in the winter blend fuel we get chitty milage any ways. are you seing any kind of smoke? how is the truck running? smooth? choppy? missing? how is your power? just trying to get a little more information here so its easier to get to the bottom of the problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
how hard do you drive it???? any mods????
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

diesel diesel diesel

okay.. she has 30" coopers on here. depending on how cold it is outside i usually only let her warm up about 15 mins before i leave for work. but i have been noticing if shes not warmed up all the way if i try giving her some gas she wont even move.. as far as smoke goes, the only times i have ever seen smoke are on the days when its below 10 degrees out, and then its only white smoke..

as far as my driving, i dont hammer on the pedal, well because if i do i'd be getting worse mileage then i am now!

when shes warmed up, i think she runs pretty smooth, i mean the times when i do step on the throttle i notice a little hesitation, but then the turbo kicks in and she goes alittle better, im just amazed that at work we use 2004 gmc sierras.. and when you slam on the gas they just rocket off the line,i mean yes granted they are regular cabs, with no aftermarket parts, but are the powerstrokes supposed to be like that? i would think so.. i guess im just too new in the whole diesel thing...
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check the turbo fins they should be striaght and sharp if their bent,chipped or dull the turbo has been dusted and needs replaced, also wiggle the compresor wheel and check for shaft free play in and out up and down. if the truck is running smooth you might be looking at a turbo problem. also check all of your intercooler boots and make sure you dont have any boost leaks.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
that mileage suxs! i would check turbo see if u dusted it
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolm33 View Post
okay.. she has 30" coopers on here. depending on how cold it is outside i usually only let her warm up about 15 mins before i leave for work. but i have been noticing if shes not warmed up all the way if i try giving her some gas she wont even move.. as far as smoke goes, the only times i have ever seen smoke are on the days when its below 10 degrees out, and then its only white smoke..

as far as my driving, i dont hammer on the pedal, well because if i do i'd be getting worse mileage then i am now!

when shes warmed up, i think she runs pretty smooth, i mean the times when i do step on the throttle i notice a little hesitation, but then the turbo kicks in and she goes alittle better, im just amazed that at work we use 2004 gmc sierras.. and when you slam on the gas they just rocket off the line,i mean yes granted they are regular cabs, with no aftermarket parts, but are the powerstrokes supposed to be like that? i would think so.. i guess im just too new in the whole diesel thing...
White smoke is fuel, You may have a blown injector. It should not smoke after it is warmed up. I live in Montana and mine doesn't smoke after it is warmed up, plus it is cheaper to just plug it in for the night than to idle it for 15 minutes every morning. I have a timer on my plug in, so it comes on two hours before I have to go to work. Plus long term idleing can lead to deposits in the oil cutting your fuel mileage. Just run it into your ford garage and have them do a dianostic on it. It's cheap and then you can fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.