Vacuum Pump Issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Vacuum Pump Issue?

Sorry, first and foremost, but I am mechanically un-inclined... That being said, i have a vacuum pump issue that I need help with. I think it's part of the AC system but I'm not sure. It is located on the passengers side of the engine bay towards the back and against the fender. It has a few hoses coming off of it and some open holes that I wonder if there is a missing hose or plug? The pump kicks on at random and vibrates like hell. If I put my finger over one of the holes it quits... Went to Advance Auto for help and they were not what I was hoping for. Handed me a repair manual and said "take your time"...

Any ideas what it could be? I looked the manual over and have found little help on the internet. Someone suggested the Forums and told me that this is where all the knowledge is. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow when I get back to the house.
Is it possible that the hoses are fine and the pump is just old and needing replaced? I just found it weird to be able to plug a hole and make it stop but then I wondered what damage it could cause if the hole wasn't meant to be plugged.

Like I said, I'm a mechanical moron and need yall to bear with me. It's a 2001 7.3 Auto 4x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have auto or manual locking hubs? I went from auto to manual and had to plug the lines from the hubs so that the pump would not run constantly. Maybe some one installed manual hubs and did not plug the pump?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went through the same thing a few months back with my X. There was a couple small holes in the vacuum lines going to the hubs for the 4x4 system. I bought a very inexpensive vacuum tester from harbor freight and the parts guy from the dealer printed me out the vacuum routing for the truck. Once you take a look at it and just follow the lines its pretty self explanatory. That being said once you can locate the leak and fix it you also need to make sure your pump is functioning properly. Easy to diagnose if you just remove a line and plug it it should go on and off. I was also informed that the relay is a common fail which is located next to the pump on the passenger side. Just a note I did as a matter of not wanting to revisit anything did replace the vacuum lines to the 4x4 which cost only pennies. Once you isolate these the 4x4 should operate normally and if it is not it will default to the defrosters instead of engaging 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.