resurecting headgaskets! good idea? bad idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
resurecting headgaskets! good idea? bad idea?

Hey everyone.
i just signed up because i need someone thats smarter than me;s opinion. i just picked up a 99 stroker, pre 99.5. good looking truck but it has a blown head gasket. it runs like it has a slight miss thats not consistant. is that because of the headgasket or like these dumb injector rails? anyway it randomly blows antifreeze out the overflow and has airpockets because the heater gets cold.

So my first real question is , is it just a headgasket? next is how bad are these to do. ive decided to do the task myself because iv worked on quite a few cars just not many diesles.

now to finish. while im there what else should i be doing? i plan on future mods so are the uprgraded head studs really needed? iv not alot of cash but would injectors be worth doing while im there? and what else that i dont know about?

thanks for the help. even if ya only answer one question that would be awesome!

JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
back to business

I'm no help with your quetions..... but

Someone will be along in the morning that can help you out
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Head Studs aren't really needed with the 7.3L's

If you know you have a blown headgasket. Fix that problem, as it maybe the cause to your possible miss and poor running engine. If you still have the rough running engine then we can trouble shoot it.

Before you tear the truck down, scan it for codes. Being you have a possible blown head gasket I do not know if an injector contribution test would work very well. This test would tell you if you have any bad injectors.

First off lets trouble shoot the possible blown head gasket. I suggest you do a compression test on each cylinder before you tear it apart. Something is pressurizing your cooling system. After you do the trouble shooting for the blown headgasket. Then do your tear down and inspection. During your inspection use a straight edge to check the head for warpage, look for cracks new the water jackets, especially near the exhaust valve, since you have the heads off might as well have them machined and do a valve job to them.

Then assemble using quality parts. Also check the uvc under valve cover harness for any possible breaks or shorts. As this could be the cause to your inconsistant miss and rough running engine as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 AM
Emergency Services

if you are pushing coolant out of ur overflow it probably is a head gasket, if it is happening during boost. that is what mine did when it blew. headstud it if u plan on running over 40 lbs. of boost or so. i headstudded mine for future mods. check the block also to see if it needs some work. my heads were fine. i needed the block decked.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM

you have to do quite a bit of mods to get over 40 psi boost right? i think i might just stick with the stock studs sounds like
Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I am reusing my head bolts but i am sending my injectors off to be checked and upgraded while its apart. I was told its smart to at least have them checked and i agree. but i am going to upgrade them while they are gone.
I agree it should be check for codes b4 tear down too. but the head stud upgrade seems to be necessary for the 6.0 only.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM

i had ford diognost it and they confirmed the headgasket. should i still look for codes or would they have found them?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
call the shop and ask what codes they pulled if they did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.