Fuel Tank Liner Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank Liner Problem?

First, I would suggest a folder for fuel related problems.

Now to my problem. Bought my 2000 F550 3 weeks ago with 95,000 miles on it. 3 times since then it has started sputtering, losing power and slowing down and 2 times even shut off (once was with no load). All 3 times after sitting for a few minutes I was able to start back up and run normally to get to a gas station (2 times registered 1/4 tank, last time registered 1/2 tank). All 3 times I filled tank and drove on normally. I read some complaints online about fuel tank liner failures. My mechanical experience had me thinking there was possible trash in the tank so am really thinking this might be my problem.

Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what would I be looking at parts and cost-wise to remedy this problem? Thank you for your input and assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

1999 to 2003 7.3 trucks do have filters in the tank, and yes i do see alot of times these filters get clogged ,and a good cleaning will fix the issue , if it has the metal tank behind the axle it can have the liner issues you refer to as well , sounds like no matter what , you are gonna need to drop the tank and see whats goin on inside there
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Gunner

What you are describing sounds like fuel starvation to me and is inline with the pickup foot in the tank being broken.

While your in there I would consider doing this:

Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Gunner. I will definitely checkout that pre-pump. As for the fuel pickup foot, could that be the cause of my problems even though the last event occurred at 1/2 tank vs 1/4 tank the previous 3 times?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel tank was indeed my issue. My mechanic (B&M Transmissions) replaced my tank with one having an epoxy liner, flushed all my fuel lines and changed the pickup screen filter. He also swapped out my ICP plug which had become oil or fuel soaked (known issue). The PSD is purring like it should now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.