Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Tank Liner Problem?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  VolsFan1nGA 
#1 ·
First, I would suggest a folder for fuel related problems.

Now to my problem. Bought my 2000 F550 3 weeks ago with 95,000 miles on it. 3 times since then it has started sputtering, losing power and slowing down and 2 times even shut off (once was with no load). All 3 times after sitting for a few minutes I was able to start back up and run normally to get to a gas station (2 times registered 1/4 tank, last time registered 1/2 tank). All 3 times I filled tank and drove on normally. I read some complaints online about fuel tank liner failures. My mechanical experience had me thinking there was possible trash in the tank so am really thinking this might be my problem.

Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what would I be looking at parts and cost-wise to remedy this problem? Thank you for your input and assistance.

#2 ·
1999 to 2003 7.3 trucks do have filters in the tank, and yes i do see alot of times these filters get clogged ,and a good cleaning will fix the issue , if it has the metal tank behind the axle it can have the liner issues you refer to as well , sounds like no matter what , you are gonna need to drop the tank and see whats goin on inside there

#3 ·
What you are describing sounds like fuel starvation to me and is inline with the pickup foot in the tank being broken.

While your in there I would consider doing this:

Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit

#4 ·
Thanks Gunner. I will definitely checkout that pre-pump. As for the fuel pickup foot, could that be the cause of my problems even though the last event occurred at 1/2 tank vs 1/4 tank the previous 3 times?

#5 ·
The fuel tank was indeed my issue. My mechanic (B&M Transmissions) replaced my tank with one having an epoxy liner, flushed all my fuel lines and changed the pickup screen filter. He also swapped out my ICP plug which had become oil or fuel soaked (known issue). The PSD is purring like it should now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.