Blueish White Smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blueish White Smoke?

I live in Utah and its pretty cold right now but not below about 25 degrees in the morning for sure. Just recently when I start the truck this blueish white smoke comes out of the exhaust for probably 30 seconds and it idles kinda rough. Is this serious? What could be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine has done that ever since I got it in 2002, and the dealership said that it is normal, as long as it goes away after it warms up its fine, and I live in Texas were it hardly gets cold.. However, if it smokes the whole time when it is running then you could have some trouble.. Most common thing is that its buring oil, or you have to much oil in it, or you're glow plugs are going out..
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 AM

My 2006 6.0 F350 with 49,000 highway miles, never towed started blowing white smoke about 30 days ago and it comes and goes all day. I thought it was the EGR and the dealer changed the EGR valve under warranty, pressure checked the EGR cooling system and it was o.k. and performed the BG intake cleaning system and changed the oil. Now, the white smoke is worse and smells like faint burnt oil. It is smoking alot. ANy suggestions? I thought possibly turbo oil seal, which I can check by unclamping the turbo exhaust down pipe and examining the insides of the turbine and exhaust down pipe. ALso, I see that the injectors are driven by high pressure oil, so I was wandering if a bad injjector could cause oil to be injected into the cylinder. ?????? Besuides a blown piston ring, which I can;t imagine could have occurred, any suggestions? I am not sure if the white oil smelling smoke would be a blown head gasket, besuides the dealer said no because they pressure tested the entire cooling system and found no issues with the coolant. HELP. Michael.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceba View Post
I live in Utah and its pretty cold right now but not below about 25 degrees in the morning for sure. Just recently when I start the truck this blueish white smoke comes out of the exhaust for probably 30 seconds and it idles kinda rough. Is this serious? What could be wrong?
Sounds like an injector o-ring might be leaking.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 AM

Thanks for that info. I just realized I am in the 99-03 forum and I have a 6.0 dated 2006. Sorry to everyone for that. However, the injector issue seems plausible, particularly, since I also noticed much more black smoke now coming out upon medium to hard throttle. I bet it is an injector. Also, the smell of the whitish smoke, not bluish, is light oil like diesel and not motor oil. I am going for the injectors. Unfortunatley,, I believe the heads have to come off to reach them. Ford better cover it under their 100,000 engine warranty. Michael
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM

White Smoke

I do have a 2006 Ford 6.0 with 49,000 miles and my white smoke has continued and worsened despite Ford working on it twice under warranty and finally cnahging the EGR valve, EGR coolant cooler, and oil cooler. The white smoke is worse now. I finally started breaking down the top of the engine myself and discovered the turbo is leaking like you would not believe. After alot of discussions with diesel experts, I decided the turbo is not worth saving, as it is a bad design, so I am chaning to a larger TUrbonetics ceramic coated ceramic ball bearing turbo, 190cc Hypertech injectors, ARP studding the heads with new gaskets, and blocking off the EGR system from both ends, and adding FASS and regulated return fuel systems. Also, Ford has come up with new exhaust manifold gaskets (my 2006 truck does not even have exhaust manifold gaskets, as Ford thought it was nice to bolt metal to metal, new turbo up pipe gasket and studs rather than bolts for the turbo up pipe. Of course, I have to change every other gasket that I remove. Luckily, I can do all the work myself except for the studding of the heads. White smoke is bad news. Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.