1999 w/85,000miles hard to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 1999 w/85,000miles hard to start

For about the past month my truck has had a harder time starting than normal. It will always start warm or cold but it seems like it has to turn over longer to fire up. Also right after starting it might run really rough and almost die. That has only happened a few times but regardless it always has to turn over more than normal to start. I have had the glow plugs replaced at around 55,000 so i don't think they are to blame my next thought might be the camshaft sensor but i don't have any codes.......I would think if it was to blame i would get a check light or code?

thanks for your help

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

the first thing i would do would be to start checking the high pressure resevour to make sure it isnt low.

Has this truck ever sat for a decent period (more than a month) without being started??
Old 09-16-2006, 02:50 PM

I would say the truck has sat for periods at a time but no more than 2-3 weeks.......Where is the high pressure resivor? (stupid question i know but thanks for the help)
Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

No stupid questions around here....

The HP resevour is the silver thing on the very top, front of the motor, dead center. It is just in front of the fuel filter housing and just above the water pump. On the drivers side of it there will be an allen plug that you will remove. Be carefull to use the right size allen wrench as the metal is very soft and will strip. Once the plug is out, check the level with a screwdriver. There should be oil within an inch or less of the top of the resevour.

Another possiblility here is you may have injector o rings going bad. It is a relatively common problem on the earlier 7.3's through 1999 or so. There has been an updated o ring kit to prevent this put out since your truck was built....

We will get it all figured out though....just out of curiosity, do you have a block heater and have you tried seeing if even during warm temps if plugging the truck in makes it start better??
Old 09-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hard Starting

Marc, The updated o-ring kit. Where do I get one, and how much to install a set. on average? Also, about how much is the kit. I've got a 99' f-350 with 180,000 on it now, and would like to have an idea of what i'm in for if and when mine starts acting up. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

the o ring kits are available from ford for sure. Since i am dealer employed, i dont tend to know a lot about what is available aftermarket. I think the kits are about 30-35 bucks per injector (one kit does one injector). I get 8 hours of labor to do all eight injectors...labor rates and charges will vary by area though....but rough estimate in my area assuming your valve cover gaskets are in good enough shape to be reused would be

800 labor
280 parts

This is just ballpark though. Our labor rate in this area is 95-120 bucks an hour. Some areas are as low as 50 an hour. Also, im pulling the o ring kits off the top of my head, i could be a little high or low....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 PM

I thought temp. might be the problem as well so i have plugged it in and get the same results..........warm or cold it just takes longer to start....I will check the oil level tomarrow and let you know.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Well I checked the level of oil in the resivor and it was down almost 2 inches so then i decide to check engine oil and it was barely on the stick

I had my works mobile mechanic change the oil last and that will be his last!!!!! I know i don't have any leaks so that leaves only 1 explination......

anyway do you guys think that is my problem with the starting?? Low oil? I will get some tomarrow and put in and check and let you know i guess.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

it very well could be the problem. I would fill the crankcase to the appropriate level (halfway up the crosshatch) and also fill the HP resevour to about a half inch from the top. With any luck this will fix all your problems

Has the hard starting just started since the oil change??
Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 PM

No not if i remember right............It has only been for the past 2 months and i got the oil changed long before then..........in fact i am about 1000 miles from my next....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.