Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

excessive blue smoke, then no start

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  usnavyad 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 7.3 auto. I put a rebuilt engine in a while ago. It has 10k miles on it. the truck has 60k miles. Right after I installed the GQSSB and did the CCV mod (both same day), the seemed to be dumping blue smoke out the exhaust. I took an 8 hour round trip this last weekend with no issues. Today I jumped in the truck and it started ok, got a mile down the road and it ran rough and died. then started a second and died. I had to crank it a long time to get the oil pressure guage to move indicationg oil pressure. I waited 8 hours and went back. the truck started, I drove it almost back home and i died again. It didn't have any power. I thought CPS sensor first, so I switched one in that I had laying around (dont know for sure it was good). It did not make a difference. I thought about the long cranking a bit more and finally decided to check the oil.... no oil is on the stick. Thats where I am at. Tomorrow I was gonna go get some oil and fill it up. Maybe the damn thing is so low the lpop isnt supplying the motor with enough pressure and shuts down.

Does anyone think the turbo/ccv mode would make a difference in burning more oil? Not enough back pressure? I tried flipping the oil fill cap upside down, and it didnt blow off, but it wasnt wanting to just sit on there to good. Thanks in advance for any input. Ken

#2 ·
Blue smoke=Burning oil... No oil on the dip stick is Very bad! Id put oil in it and see where you stand afterwards... Hoepfully it didnt hurt anything!

Tom

#3 ·
Neither of those would cause a loss of oil. Not touching the dipstick is at least 2 qts low. Checking fluid levels is something that should be done regularly, like during fill ups. If you aren't noticing a huge puddle underneath your truck, it's likely a slow leak. The blue smoke you're seeing could be from the lack of oil creating too much heat on your internals. Clean up the engine, do and oil change, look for leaks. Just looking at best case for you. Worst cast will involve an engine over haul as the internals are completely shot. I don't recall if injector cups will dump oil in the cylinders, but if that's the case, I suppose that really would be best case scenario as it's a cheap enough fix.

#4 ·
9 months ago I put this motor in the truck. All new gaskets. was rebilt by someone? bought the rebuilt longblock from a guy on the forum. I replaced the injector cups. There are no puddles under the truck. I did the CCV mod and have it just dumping next to the trans like the old international 4700 series trucks, That thing seems to smell like oil a bunch and puff fumes pretty good. I guess I didnt think I would need to be checking the oil that often, but definently should have if I was seeing blue smoke.

#5 ·
Whenever you see blue smoke, you should always check the oil... It can disappear very quickly.

Tom

#6 ·
I understand it's a new motor, but it's mechanical and things happen. I've made a habit of checking fluids all the time, but I grew up driving 40 year old hunks of rust held together with JB Weld and spray foam. Good, bad, indifferent, I make routine checks, and I've still blown an engine cruising down the freeway.

But yet, do the oil thing and check back with us to let us know what's up.

#8 ·
Burning oil can typically be three things.
1. Piston rings are worn. Do a compression check
2. Internal turbo seals. Kind of hard to really check for sure while it's on the truck unless it's really excessive on both sides of the turbo.
3. Bad injector that is stuck open on the hpop side. CCT and a buzz test will lead you in the right direction.
4. Could be valve seals but not real common. Especially if your burning a lot of oil. Do a leak down check.

Injector cups are only to keep out the coolant.

Hopefully you didn't do too much damage running too low of oil level.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Today I filled it with A LOT of oil and it ran fine, but just blew some blue smoke. After looking more into what was going on I found that the valve cover, dip stick tube at the pan and top of motor, and the turbo drain pipe are all leaking oil really bad. On my trip the truck must have started leaking all this oil. Some how the oil system has more pressure than it should. Please let me know your thoughts. Ken

#10 ·
I hope you mean by "ALOT" of oil you didnt over fill it!!! LOL!

Tom

#12 ·
Hey, if you ever want to feel dumb, ask a bunch of gear heads what's wrong, then check your oil... Hopefully you didn't tear up the brand new engine. I'm thinking your next upgrade needs to be gauges.

#16 ·
The best I can figure, which makes no sense with a new build, is excessive blow by. Unless you somehow got the wrong dipstick (it's happened from the factory on vehicles before) and actually are putting in too much oil.

#18 ·
I switched everything back today as far as the CCV mod, it made no difference. The 3/4" heater hose i used had no burn marks on it either.

The truck is still burning blue smoke at idle. And the oil system is definently staying under pressure after I turn the motor off. The puddle under the truck just gets bigger till the oil system looses the built up pressure. The turbo was replaced at the same time I started seeing the blue smoke/ burning oil. Somehow could the turbo be causing the pressure build up?

#19 ·
Turbo will not cause the pressure. Sounds like you have a stuck injector on the high pressure oil side. Do a CC test and that should get you close to which one it is. Your high pressure oil system is supposed to stay pressurized all the time. Of course if you let it sit for a while it will eventually bleed down. There is a check valve to keep it from bleeding down so the it doesn't have to reprime the system and not take so long each time you start the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Alright guys. Finally got to the bottom of this nightmare..... only to find when I had my chip re-burned for the new injectors the settings were changed on it. So what I used to use as the standard eco/street mode,, became a stealth/drivethrough mode which burns raw fuel and creates lots of blueish black smoke! So after $1000 in time and months of not using my truck, this was the simple problem; to turn the switch! I guess I'm just glad to know WTF was wrong the whole time. I trouble shot this problem with lots of people and never came up with this answer until my brother n law drove the truck and noticed the truck didn't burn the oil in tow haul mode. Damnt;-) Gearhead is a good company and always answers there hone when called. Just wish that damn piece of paper that said the new tunes was in the box when shipped. I used the truck all the time in tow haul mode, but just didn't notice the no smoke at idle. Anyways, figured I'd wrap up this thread so people can think of this simple idea next time someone has a similar issue. Merica

-during this whole deal I even pulled the motor and had the head gone through and the short block freshend up on my 10k mile motor....it was a treat;-)

#24 ·
I agree sounds to me like some the on the high side just curious and codes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.