Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AE readings

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Hollywood691 
#1 ·
I am trying to learn all I can here and keep seeing posts with AE readings........

what is AE?

#2 ·
I think we're All guilty of this, but AutoEnginuity it just too long to type :D

It's the, unquestionable, BEST scanner you can buy for our trucks for what it costs (@$350 w/Ford Enhanced pkg). Because we are Not, Strictly, OBD-II and have many propriety Ford and Diesel specific codes that most scanners (except high-end professional ones) can't read. It consists of a software bundle and cable. You run it on your computer (even a 10yr old laptop works fine)

We have a Forum here dedicated to it -> http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/diesel-diagnostics/162012-autoenginuity-tips-tricks.html

#3 ·
Ahh...thats cool, guess I'll have to save my penny's. I was just thinking the other day wondering if there was a way to use my laptop to print readings out and find the ranges somewhere. My buddy has a high end scanner from Matco he uses in his shop, and I sure didnt want to have to write all the stuff down.

Is there somewhere I can look to see if stuff is in the good range after scanning and getting numbers?

Thanks
Brent

#4 ·
Yes, and No, I mean, it's not like the sensor reading are going to be fixed or anything. While there are certainly Maximums/Minimums they vary with load, rpm, & other conditions. There's a Lot to know, it's not a Magic Box as many hope for :wink[3]:

This will get you started maybe and it will apply to Any scanner that's able to read the sensors (it's comes from the, now defunct, AE Forums)

This is from a post by Mr. Hansen:

Set up AE to monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle and crank it over. When you first turn the key on, you should get 14% IPR, and when you crank it, ICP should come up to 500 psi plus and IPR should be probably no higher than 25% or so. If IPR goes above 35% then you may have Injector o-ring leakage. That would explain the long crank times. You may also want to check cranking RPM, which should be a minimum of 100.

For 99-03 7.3L, another way to use AutoEnginuity to see if there are problems with a particular cylinder is to monitor the "Cylinder x Change Rotational Vel" or "Percentage of Crank Deceleration" PID (also commonly called PERDEL). This PID exists for all 8 cylinders and is a representation of crankshaft velocity change (decrease) at the time the cylinder is firing. Ideally, these should all read 0%. Any cylinder consistently reading more than 3-5% change in rotational velocity is suspect and should be further
examined. Note: Engine should be fully warmed up before checking PERDEL data.

And from somebody else (sorry...;))

I see sooooooooooooooo many guys (dealerships included) that see "no ICP" or some ICP codes in a scantool...and toss HPOP's on truck after truck...when it is either an IPR or an injector (poppet valve) issue.

If you hook up the scantool, and monitor ICP (psi) while cranking...you'll see IPR% (duty cycle) climb & climb 15% key on..20, 30, 40, 55%, higher..the increase in IPR% means that the PCM is requesting ICP pressure to increase... so ALSO watch ICP (psi) and if it comes up to only 180-250psi or so and stays there...then it's the IPR hung open (bypassing oil back to the oil pan through the front cover) such that only minimal psi can be made.

If the ICP is VERY low...like under 60psi...then it could be injector (poppets) pissing oil (under the VC's)..which is typical for injector with more than 180-200k miles. If ICP climbs above 550-600..then it will probably climb much higher (15-1800+) and it is most likely going to be an electrical issue.

If the scantool will not connect then its a PCM or chip issue (remove the chip if you have one & haven't removed it yet) if the scantool connects AND you have >600ICP then look at the datastream for a RPM reading. If the scantool picks up an RPM signal and it seems accurate....then the CPS is good.

If no RPM on the scantool, replace CPS. If you have RPM (on scantool, not just on dash)...AND have ICP >600, then run an (key on, eng off) injector "buzz test"... the buzz test is nothing more than a continuity test from the PCM, through the IDM, and to & from each injector solenoid. LISTEN to each inj buzz....do they all sound the same? nice & crisp? If the test passes (and you audibly heard them all)...then wiring is good, IDM is good, HPOP is good...CPS is good...then it could be a fuel issue. gasoline, water, etc... I wouldn't mention it if I haven't seen it myself numerous times... any chance this no start began with 10-20miles after a fillup?
If you have a scan tool ICP should be 500 PSI ± 25 PSI and fuel pulse width should be 1 to 6 milliseconds.

The above requirements assume the following:
Correct oil level, oil type and pressure
Correct type of fuel
Correct fuel pressure (53 PSI per Ford spec)
Sufficient air supply (clean air filter & unobstructed intake)
Proper oil level in HPOP reservoir (1 to ¾ inch from top)
Proper glow plug relay and glow plug operation (in cold weather)
Proper injection timing (PCM controlled)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.