Weird issue with charging system. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird issue with charging system.

This morning I got in my truck and start it and the battery light is flickering and than stays on. I check my scan gauge and it says 12v and than i pull my volt meter out and check it and it says the samething. So after two mins of running the light goes out and voltage goes up to 14v. So I go where I have to go without issues. When I leave and head back there isnt any issues. My alt isnt old and its maybe 3 years old and my truck only has 127k which isnt bad for a late 99. I wonder what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM

The battery light is directly connected to the alternator, doesn't read the batteries. I would check the 2-wire plug that goes in the back of the alternator, sometimes it will come loose, or a little corroded or something and not have a good connection all the time. Otherwise, sounds like a bad regulator in the alternator, which you have to replace the whole alternator.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechie01 View Post
The battery light is directly connected to the alternator, doesn't read the batteries. I would check the 2-wire plug that goes in the back of the alternator, sometimes it will come loose, or a little corroded or something and not have a good connection all the time. Otherwise, sounds like a bad regulator in the alternator, which you have to replace the whole alternator.
Thats awesome since im 600 miles from home
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Yeah, well its not completely out yet, obviously its still charging.. did it jump to 14v while still idling? Or while driving and the RPM's were up? The other thing is after about 2 minutes is when your glow plugs would have shut off, so if you have a weak alternator, it would make sense that the voltage would jump back up after that big draw drops off, just doesn't have enough oomph to keep up with the demand. I would check those two wires on the back and make sure they have a good connection. Then just keep an eye on it, and if it does it more, then its about time to replace the alternator. I am about to replace mine, just waiting for the part. My light has been flickering off and on, and sometimes it doesn't charge.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM

It died totally while heading home,I'm glad I stopped and got one before I started to bead home. I end up having to change it on the side of the road.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Wow, that's crazy! Glad these things are easy to change! Mine just came yesterday, I will be installing it tomorrow before mine goes out!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Yea it was real weird on how it was acting.it would work and than not and than work again while all on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.