Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Weird issue with charging system.

951 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  goats 
#1 ·
This morning I got in my truck and start it and the battery light is flickering and than stays on. I check my scan gauge and it says 12v and than i pull my volt meter out and check it and it says the samething. So after two mins of running the light goes out and voltage goes up to 14v. So I go where I have to go without issues. When I leave and head back there isnt any issues. My alt isnt old and its maybe 3 years old and my truck only has 127k which isnt bad for a late 99. I wonder what happened.

#2 ·
The battery light is directly connected to the alternator, doesn't read the batteries. I would check the 2-wire plug that goes in the back of the alternator, sometimes it will come loose, or a little corroded or something and not have a good connection all the time. Otherwise, sounds like a bad regulator in the alternator, which you have to replace the whole alternator.

#4 ·
Yeah, well its not completely out yet, obviously its still charging.. did it jump to 14v while still idling? Or while driving and the RPM's were up? The other thing is after about 2 minutes is when your glow plugs would have shut off, so if you have a weak alternator, it would make sense that the voltage would jump back up after that big draw drops off, just doesn't have enough oomph to keep up with the demand. I would check those two wires on the back and make sure they have a good connection. Then just keep an eye on it, and if it does it more, then its about time to replace the alternator. I am about to replace mine, just waiting for the part. My light has been flickering off and on, and sometimes it doesn't charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.