Runs and dies... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Runs and dies...[Problem SOLVED!]

someone tell me they have had this problem and found the answer...I love my truck when it's running....right now I HATE it!

2002 F250 SD 7.3 - chipped (Super Chip - Max tuner)

Riding along and all of a sudden just quit....no spit, kick, sputter...just quit.
after coasting off the road, waiting on a buddy to come try to help me, I figured I would set it back to stock just to try it, I figured having no idea it couldnt hurt. When I turned the key on, the gauge said EMPTY....I figured no way I know I have fuel. after sitting there waiting about an hr and a half he showed up and my daughter as well with 5 gallons of fuel. My buddy tried to check the codes and nothing. Dumped the fuel in and Bam...the gage showed 1/2 a tank and busted right off. I drove off scratching my head and figured the sending unit must be bad and I ran out of fuel.

UNTIL,,..I went about 10 miles and boom it just quit again. My daughter picked my up ran some erands came back a couple of hours later and bam, busted right off, went 6 miles and boom....Died again. coouple of hrs later went to get it with lowboy and cranked and drove on trailer, got home and cranked and backed off trailer, left it running for like 2 hours.

I changed oil and filter. Changed fuel filter, changed CPS, went to try again....went 7 miles and died again. I'll go back in a couple of hrs and crank it and get it home.

Any Ideas at all??

I plugged in my tuner and pulled DTC's....only one that shows is P603

Brent

ps: could IPR have anything to do with this?

Last edited by Hollywood691; 04-15-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

same symptom as a thread just read....IPR was bad.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
same symptom as a thread just read....IPR was bad.
I pulled it out, took it apart and cleaned it up putting new O-rings on it. Gonna put it back in this morning and give it a whirl to see what happens.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood691 View Post
I pulled it out, took it apart and cleaned it up putting new O-rings on it. Gonna put it back in this morning and give it a whirl to see what happens.
Hoolywood, did you have any luck? Your truck issues sound exactly like the issues I'm having now. Mine died driving at 55 MPH - no spitting, sputtering, nothing - just like I turned the key off. We've changed the CPS twice. Threw it in a shop and they ended up replacing the ICP, running it at idle for a while, and test driving it 3 or 4 times. I got it back, drove about 6 or 7 miles and it dies while I'm waiting for a green light in the left turn lane. Same thing - just dies. Back in the shop this morning. They're suppose to look at the IPR today.

I've been told by others that it's the IPR, but I guess I'm looking for some kind of confirmation from someone else with the same problem.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Beware of Anybody who tells you "Buy this part, my truck did the exact same thing and it's what cured it".

Just because it worked for somebody else does Not mean it's gonna work for you. The world is Much More complicated than that

I'm not saying there aren't common issues & resolutions (even a blind Squirrel finds a nut ) But it's a pretty complex system with too many factors to simplify it so, and telling somebody to go out and spend a couple of hundred bucks on a sensor, because it worked for them, isn't doing anyone a good service....

Maybe it's the IPR, maybe it's just the plug/wiring going to it, maybe the "tin nut" fell off and the coil is sliding around. Or, maybe it's not related to the IPR at ALL! There are MANY other possibilities.

Confirmation from the average "Joe" on the internet is Not Confirmation. Let your shop confirm it for you or continue to diagnose the problem and save yourself the money an, unneeded, sensor might cost to pay them...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Beware of Anybody who tells you "Buy this part, my truck did the exact same thing and it's what cured it".

Just because it worked for somebody else does Not mean it's gonna work for you. The world is Much More complicated than that

I'm not saying there aren't common issues & resolutions (even a blind Squirrel finds a nut ) But it's a pretty complex system with too many factors to simplify it so, and telling somebody to go out and spend a couple of hundred bucks on a sensor, because it worked for them, isn't doing anyone a good service....

Maybe it's the IPR, maybe it's just the plug/wiring going to it, maybe the "tin nut" fell off and the coil is sliding around. Or, maybe it's not related to the IPR at ALL! There are MANY other possibilities.

Confirmation from the average "Joe" on the internet is Not Confirmation. Let your shop confirm it for you or continue to diagnose the problem and save yourself the money an, unneeded, sensor might cost to pay them...
Point taken. Please, ignore my same question in this thread. I'm just looking for opinions so I don't end up spending $$$ that's not necessary. Had the ICP replaced at ~$500 (including diagnosis) and would like some insight before having other parts replaced.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am working on it and doing other stuff at the same time haha...came in to munch lunch......

will be done in about an hour and ready to test drive.......

I have changed oil/ filter ( cause it needed it)
changed fuel filter - $45
put in new CPS- $25
Checked fuses-

road test and no good...it wasn't CPS

Pulled IPR took apart, cleaned (it was gunky)
new O-rings, $40
tested solenoid (10.4 Ohms)

Replaced ICP 175.00

I'll post back in a little while as to what happens on test drive .

Last edited by Hollywood691; 04-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood691 View Post
I'll post back in a little while as to what happens on test drive .
Hoping you have good luck!

I'll be waiting for the update.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinner View Post
Hehehe,, I LOVE this pic!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well SH*^%TTT!! started up idled a little rough, give it some gas and it rattled like a rod.....I figured the HPOP had to fill back up......it cleared up after a minute. I like to leave mine set on Tow safe cause I pull my trailers around often so I tuned it back to Tow Safe. Ran perfect......made it 7 miles from the house and BOOM! same freaking thing just quit like you shut the key off. Coasted off the road in the grass.......while sitting there waiting on the wife to come get me I ran the diagnostics on my tuner and the ONLY DTC was P603.........I just dont understand.....Left it there for a couple of hours, uncle carried me back up there with his 7.3 haha. I just knew it would crank and run another 7 miles to get back to the house and it wouldn't just turned over and over. Put a chain on it, drug it back to the house in front of my shop, unhooked chain, got back in and hit the key and BAM, it busted right off for me to drive it in the shop. I DON'T GET IT!!!

When it dies,...after just a sec. the engine light comes on and thats it.

I left key on the whole time in tow.........is it possible the electric fuel pump (that is lift pump right?) is weak and it's running the bowel out of fuel and is to weak to keep up running? But when I go back it usually cranks up after sitting there a couple of hours.......very frustrated. This sure aint like back in the 70's when it was easy to work on ur sh1t.

Last edited by Hollywood691; 04-13-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.