Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 F250 7.3 Won't start unless plugged in.

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  rundunnyrun 
#1 ·
Hello ! I have a 2000 F250 7.3 with 482,543 miles on it. Here lately it won't start unless it's plugged in. I mean it's 60 outside now and it won't start. If I plug in in for 30 min. or so, no problem. I have no idea what to do. I am a 53 year old disabled woman who will not get rid of her Ford !! This has probably been discussed some place else, but am new to this so please bear with me. :please:

#2 ·
Sounds like a glow plug or glow plug relay issue to me. Both relatively common issues, and fairly simple (and inexpensive) to fix if you can do the work yourself, or have a family member or friend who can help you.

#4 · (Edited)
It's possible the relay could have failed again. Or you could have several dead or dying glow plugs! Does it attempt to start any better if you jump the relay for 10 seconds or so?

#6 ·
Well you said you replaced the relay a few years ago, so are you familiar with what it looks like?

#8 ·
well if he's familiar with them, there should (if I remember right) be 2 larger posts and 2 smaller posts on the relay. You'll wanna jump the two larger posts with something like a screwdriver for 10 seconds or so , and then try starting it. I was in the sand dunes about a year ago, and it got down to about freezing that night. The next morning it wouldn't start, so I jumped the relay for a few seconds and she fired right up.

#9 ·
It could be a glow plug issue but that could also be linked to a few other things. How good is the condition of the batteries? If the batteries don't produce enough juice the PCM will not activate the gpr. Also could be an injector issue where it's not able to produce adequate fuel into the mixture and you aren't able to create enough heat without the added source if the block heater. That's just another piece to keep in mind with that many miles in the truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Well, The batteries were new 2 years ago, I guess I should have them tested...Some times when it's cold and I just started it, it'll do what I call, lope. runs rough until it gets warmed up. I just have a feeling myself that the glow plugs aren't all lighting...I'll get the batteries tested first, surely it wouldn't be that simple... not with my luck ! I almost traded the ol thing off in back in December, but I just couldn't do it. It really has never given me any trouble. Minor stuff, batteries, wheel bearings, brake shoes, a water pump... but other than that, the 7.3 keeps running.. !:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.