Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1999 F250 turbo problem

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  fordtech2004 
#1 ·
when i start my truck and after it idles for a little bit it almost sounds like the waste gate sticks open or something. the exause gets louder. when i drive it down the road, and barely hit the gas, it will do it too and it seems like it has less power. then after i hit the gas a little harder it clears up. could this b a boost pressure problem. any suggestions on what the problem might b

#2 ·
that just sounds like your exhaust back pressure valve, it just restricts the exhaust to warm up the engine faster

do u have aftermarket exhaust on it, it is much more noticable when you dont have a muffler

#3 ·
i bought the truck as it sits. 10in lift, 40in tires and a chip. not sure what brand on the chip. i think it might be a superchip. just straight pipe about half way back on the truck. no muffler. my concern was it used to do it when it was cold and when i just started it up. now it does it when i am going down the road after it is warm.

#5 ·
Its the exhaust back preasure valve. unplug it. Its a 2 wire plugin on the underside of your turbo compressor housing. mines been disconected for over a year now. I hated that annoying thing.

its for emisions and engine temps so on and so forth... all it really does iss kill your milage and performance and annoys the pizz out of you.

#6 ·
yep u can wire it up as somewhat of an exhaust brake tho but i would just disconnect it to start with

#8 ·
how do i wire it as an exhaust brake? is it a great increase in mileage and performance if i unplug it? does it cause any problems if i rewire it or unhook it?

#10 ·
theres a good writeup with wiring diagrams somewhere i just can't remember where, maybe someone else can chime in

#9 ·
yeah its mid winter and I am soooooooooooooooo Fin sick of the hiss!!!!! I pulled off the road one day in a fit of rage to pull it out, lol but my girlfriend conviced me to keep driving! I am thinking of pulling the wires soon

#13 ·
the exhuast brake mod just sounds like a bad idea in my opinion, i think my truck has it done...at least the switch under the dash does something....and sometimes when i accidentally turn it on the epv comes on....i really hate it and can only imagine the damage it does at high rpms or high load.....o yea....i like the pic of the ford towing a chevy.....as usual....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.