Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99.5 7.3 leaking coolant

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jlarsen 
#1 ·
I just noticed today a puddle under my truck.

I put a bowl down to catch it because I had driven through some water and thought it may have been just water dripping.

After further investigation I determined that it is coolant.

I looked around, felt around, and smelled as best I could.
The moisture is just above the oil pan and isn't gushing. Any ideas as to what it could be?

I've done some research and it may seem to be a water pump?

Any further input would be wonderful!

Anyone ever replace a water pump?, and was it doable in a day?

#4 ·
Atleast some things were "useful" from this guy...

Watch/note, all 8-8 vids. I went the Air chisel route, worked great. Other than that, order up an AIRTEX pump from RockAuto for 85 buks, and go at it. Have a new 195* thermostat to..(motorcraft), while ur at it, plus, i recommend a billett t-stat housing, because you'll see with the oem one, its just stamped metal.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. That powerstroke help guy is fun to watch. I will be attempting this on Saturday.

I am sad to say this but the last time changes my oil I had noticed that my coolant was low but didn't pay much mind to it. This has been leaking for some time now so I do not think its the bearing but only the seal. Any quick fixes or should I just replace anyways?

#6 ·
How many miles on it? I'd say just replace it. Quick fixes tend to turn into a pain in the arse when you least want it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
How would I check for that?

It's leaking some, but the level in my reserve tank doesn't go down.

I used some Bars Leak.

I think that may have been a waste.

#11 ·
I have an 02 and about 2 months ago it started to leak antifreeze. its just a few drops which looks like a lot after it spreads out when I shut it off but only when the motor stays bellow 190. so short trips. Mine's coming from the oil cooler gasket. When I run it hard or tow and I get over 200 degrees it seals itself again and a few days later will drip again. I went rounds with my mechanic because sometimes it will leak other times not. I'm going to have it fixed and have the oil cooler rebuilt since its never been done and has to come out to replace the gasket. Ill lose maybe a quart a month. Just drive it around for a while then shut it off and crawl underneath it with a flash light and look for whet spots where it starts to form drips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.