Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Do I have the "death wobble"?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NorthwoodsF350 
#1 ·
Guys, my truck has started "wobbling" bad when coming to a quick stop or if I hit big bumps(im from minnesota, so our roads are nothing but potholes this time of year). Is this the notorious "death wobble"? If so, how does a guy silve it? I read on a few other forums that it's as simple as replacing the track bar? My wife and kids ride in there pretty often and I need to fix this as soon as I can. Thanks for any advice!

#3 · (Edited)
Yes that is the Death Wobble or Death Shake!

Check all your joints in the steering system from the steering box down to the tie rod ends for any excessive play. that is the #1 reason for it to start happening. Also check ball joints and axle bearings for wear and replace anything that has any slop in it.

And once all your parts are good, it will help to add a dual steering stabilizer kit to your truck. This will help your steering components last longer and avoid the Death Wobble!!!

#4 ·
I have checked most of the steering components, and there is little play, but nothing terrible. All I can think of is the T bar... if its not that, what are the top secondary reasons? I cant afford to rebuild the whole front end right now, so I have to pinpoint the top possibilities and go from there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.