Fuel Heater question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to strokin' fool
Question Fuel Heater question

Hello all. Just had a question about the fuel heater in the fuel filter housing. I had a bunch of problems with my truck last week and ended up replacing the fuel pump, cleaning out the tank and replacing 2 fuel filters. I noticed the wire was attached to the fuel filter when I removed it from the housing. I just put it back down in there and went on. I had to take the truck to the shop and get it scanned since it was not running right. The water in fuel light came on and stayed on even after i drained it. I figured since it was 4 degrees here that night that the fuel heater was broken. Well the shop said the fuel heater was bad and the #7 injector was bad also causing the white smoke and rough run at start up. They want 600.00 for the fuel filter housing. The service advisor told me that I could not get just the fuel heater. Is this true?? I was told by a buddy that I should be able to just replace the heater?? Is this possible and if so is it hard to do?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I priced this part at ford, $155.00 is what I was told
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Year, make, model, mods??

First off, I really don’t believe the fuel filter heater does anything to help. After all if it is cold enough for the fuel to gel then wouldn’t it gel in the tank, pickup foot, lines, pump, heads, etc? I don’t see how just heating the filter is going to help. I guess it “might” help thin the fuel to get it through the restriction of the filter media but I have heard of many folks unplugging that heater and never having any other troubles. I do live in the south where very low temps are on the plus side of zero.

Next, I believe you could buy just the element for a lot less if you just gotta have it working.
How did they determine an injector is bad?
I really don’t know how much I would trust a shop that wants $600 for a bad fuel filter heater. But then again I don’t trust any shop anywhere.

Did you get a bad load of fuel? That happened to me last year, ruined a lot of stuff. I did some tank and filter mods to try and prevent it happening again plus it got the air out and made my truck run much better, all for $30. There are pics of the fuel system mods in my sig link if your interested.

Last edited by alabamafrog; 01-23-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not a Tech, but I read that the fuel heater stops the fuel from "waxing" up during colder weather. This wax can form even if the fuel doesn't jell. Over time it can cause the filter to become clogged and cause hard starts.

As for the injectors, I'm not sure.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can get just the heater. I bought one last week for 80.00 at Ford for a 95 F-350. I found that I didn't need it though as my old one was being shorted out by a metal foreign object in the seperator bowl lying right on the plug connector. It runs fine if you unplug it but the wax build up in the bowl will haunt you if you do. You can change the heater yourself if ya have the right tools. Return part for cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.