Very loud grind/vibration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very loud grind/vibration

I've done some searches but haven't found anything specific to my problem. I have a recently purchased 99 F-250 P-stroke with the auto tranny. It has 75K. New Ford factory tranny was put in before I bought it at 73K.

I went hunting this weekend and the wife ended up taking the truck hotspringing with the gals. After unpacking she said my truck was making a loud noise. She described it as a very loud humming sound like tires going over a metal bridge or recently torn up road. She said she stopped and checked the front hubs to make sure they were in "free" and they were.

I drove it this morning and a very loud low pitched grind\vibration started around 25 mph and didn't go away. I only got it up to 40 mph, but the wife indicated that it was happening at highway speeds. When slowed down to take a corner < less than 10mph the noise went away. At idle at stop lights there is no noise, except for that beautiful sounding diesel idle It sounds bad.

The guy I bought it from gave me all the service records and it is a factory Ford serviced truck. I have an appointment with the dealer who performed all of the services, but they can't get me in until Thursday.

From my searches, I am thinking that it could be the following:
1) Front hubs\wheel bearings
2) Ball joints, although I believe they were done about 15K ago.
3) Front drive shaft/U-joints
4) Transfer Case (shudder)

The tranny is shifting fine, no hard shifts and I have plenty of power. Just last week I noticed some oil leaking just passenger side of center towards the front of the motor. Sometimes it would leave one half dollar size of oil, other times it was 4 spots of oil much smaller. Don't know if they are interrelated. Would a leaking crank seal cause that kind of grind\vibration?

Additional driving impressions: very pronounced vibration, can feel it in the gas pedal, steering wheel etc. Definitely present at >25mph and continues. Louder than engine. No power loss, tranny shifting through all gears smoothly. It is seems to be more engine or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance. I have learned a lot on this site just from lurking.

Eric

Last edited by pheasbo; 09-05-2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: addtional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME ERIC!!!!

Someone should be on soon that can help ya out!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

sounds like a hub bearing goin out to me buddy!!! get the front tires off the ground and rotate the tire...also grab it at the top on the outside of the tire, and on the inside of the bottom of the tire. Pull on the bottom of the tire while you push on the top...see if there is any slopp....if there is, have someone watch while you do it to see if a ball joint is moving, if the hub has play, or if both are moving. The hub is kinda hard to see at first, you have to actually touch the rotor while your hand is on the axle housing...to see if the rotor is moving when it shouldnt....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, took it in to my tire guy as I just had a rotation done 350 miles ago. The tires were severely out of balance. But still had the vibration\noise, just at a higher speed, >35 mph. Because of the out of balance he didn't look at anything else. Took it back and told him it was still there. He said it was probably hub bearing or bearings. He made a phone call, $512 for one side plus $80 in labor. OUCH!!! He's going to call around to see if he can save me a couple of bucks on the parts. Taking it back in the morning to confirm\deny hub bearing.

Anybody have a link\pic of a hub bearing for a '99 F-250 SD manufactured in 6/98 w\manual locking hubs? Or any links to online parts places that I might be able to get the item for less?

Thanks for the info Marc.

Last edited by pheasbo; 09-06-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

PM the member Maintain....marty just did this repair and has the info....
Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...spagenameZWD1V
For that price you can get both sides and do them at the same time. If you have basic hand tools you can do it yourself, its real easy

Last edited by lilredpowerstroke; 09-06-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the analysis came in:

Hub bearings
Wheel Bearings
Swaybar links

Stated that hub bearings are causing most of the issues that I am experiencing. I wish I had the time to do it myself, but I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it one step at a time and start with the hub bearings. Sheesh, you'd think I'd at least get a reach around.

$750 for both hub bearings. Not bad at the dealership. Thanks for all the suggestions\help. You guys rock

Last edited by pheasbo; 09-08-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How did I miss this?! wow... I apologize. Too bad I'm about 20 days late but here is a link to some kits http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...tegoryID=84614 for future reference. IF it is 750 for all 3 problems cured that is a great deal, if it is 750 for just 2 wheel bearings that is still good, if that is for ONE wheel bearing then that is obnoxious!

Hope you get her fixed and let us know about any more problems, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ya!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.