Question about water in fuel light after changing filter, pump, and cleaning tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to strokin' fool
Question Question about water in fuel light after changing filter, pump, and cleaning tank

I had a post recently about not starting after replacing fuel pump. Thank you for all of your help. I got it started last night after checking everything and adding 10 gallons of fuel and cranking forever. Now after driving it around last night for about 20 miles, we came back and had a few beverages to celebrate. After a few hours, I went out to start it and move it and it ran really rough and the water in fuel light was on. It smoothed out after about 5 mins and ran fine. This morning I went out to start it and it started fine but the water in fuel light was on and lots of white smoke was coming out. I went and bought Kleen and put that in there and waiting to see. It still smokes alot and the water in fuel light comes on and goes off when driving. When I get on it the light come on and when I let it coast, the lights goes off until my speed gets low and comes back on and stays on at idle. Would the sensor be dirty or bad or could the fuel bowl heater be going bad????? Just wanted to get an idea. Thanks again for everyones help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin' fool View Post
I had a post recently about not starting after replacing fuel pump. Thank you for all of your help. I got it started last night after checking everything and adding 10 gallons of fuel and cranking forever. Now after driving it around last night for about 20 miles, we came back and had a few beverages to celebrate. After a few hours, I went out to start it and move it and it ran really rough and the water in fuel light was on. It smoothed out after about 5 mins and ran fine. This morning I went out to start it and it started fine but the water in fuel light was on and lots of white smoke was coming out. I went and bought Kleen and put that in there and waiting to see. It still smokes alot and the water in fuel light comes on and goes off when driving. When I get on it the light come on and when I let it coast, the lights goes off until my speed gets low and comes back on and stays on at idle. Would the sensor be dirty or bad or could the fuel bowl heater be going bad????? Just wanted to get an idea. Thanks again for everyones help!!
there is probably water in the fuel bowl.....open the yellow drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl...the water will settle to the bottom and that will drain it out.....a couple cups of fuel and water will drain out on the front passanger side of the motor out of the drain tube...
Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM

I have done that twice today and it goes off for a few minutes and then comes back on and does the same thing. When I changed the fuel filter back when the fuel pump was going out, I pulled the fuel filter out and the fuel bowl heater was attached to the bottom of the filter. I laid it back down in the bottom and it appeared fine. Could that not be working causing the fuel to gel in the bowl causing the light and a lot of white smoke???
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

what kind of temps are we talking here?? Winter blend fuel shouldnt be gelling on you unless its pretty dang cold...

Have you tried going to a fuel station and filling it up all the way....maybe the fuel you put in had some water in it (use a different fuel station than the place you got the last stuff)

The other thing you could try is some HEAT fuel treatment.....BUT make VERY sure any additive you put in to absorb the water says specifically that it is compatable with diesel. If it doesnt say dont put it in...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM

I put some diesel Kleen in to clean the injectors, and had a water remover in it. It just seems to run rough and white smoke for a long time. The temps ar at 15 degrees today here in cincinnati ohio. I dont know. I put fuel in at a reputable place. I dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.