Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Was low power - Now No Start?

891 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TexasEx 
#1 ·
I've got a 02 excursion that started having a problem about a month ago:

When the truck was cold, it would start ok but have no power at all, could not even move, until the engine warmed up for 5-10 min. Once the engine was warm, the engine had normal power and all was fine. Restarts on a warm engine never showed this problem.

The truck went in for the cam sensor recall and it had no effect on the problem. Starting yesterday the truck won't even start, just crank. I checked the oil, and it was low, so I put some in. I can't get a good reading since the truck is dead on a hill so I can't get a great dipstick reading. I checked the fuel filter to make sure I had fuel there and I do, and I put a new filter in while I was there. I verified that the fuel cut off had not tripped as well.

Any suggestions on what to check next? I saw something about the glow plug relay...not sure it explains this exactly, but it's easy to check so that's next.

The truck has ~70K on it, I've owned it since new and it gets it's regular maintenance.....

Thanks in advance for any advice!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the truck was low on oil, and I did get the truck to start - not sure if it was the oil or if it was just becuase the truck was sitting for a while. Not sure that low on oil would explain why the problem first started showing itself when the truck was started cold????

When it finally started, it was running bad - like it wasn't on all cylinders. I let it warm up and it got better. The check engine light was on the entire time so I pulled the negative cables from the bats and reset the CPU. Started up and ran fine with no check engine light. I don't know if the problem is still there since I haven't tried to start the truck when cold yet...

BECAUSE

It was a while since I purged the fuel bowl, and since I put a new filter in the other day I thought I would do it - unfortunetly, the valve now leaks by and the truck has a fuel drip.... I took the bowl off and pulled the valve. I am waiting on some o-rings to rebuild it and hope that takes care of it. Once it's back on I can check to see if the "no power" condition on cold start up is still there!

#3 ·
before you try to cold start the engine, pull the small hex plug on top of the hpop resivore you should have oil up to the bottom of the threads in the hole. if not the resivore check valve is shot or stuck. heavy wieght oil has also been known to cause this same problem in cold weather most people call it a "ROMP ROMP" kindof sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.