Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!

Today I put in my Bully Dog 6 pos. chip and I changed the fuel filter on my 99 F350 Super Duty w/ 7.3L PSD. When I got it to start (cold weather w/o a place to plug in) it seemed to start up fine, but it sounded like one of its strokes was going to throw a cylinder into the cab. It calmed down quickly and reached a normal idle. I didnt think anything about it at the time. I took it out for a spin to put it through the new tunes. After driving it for a few minutes the battery light came on (its been doing that every now and again on longer trips, but goes off so I havent really worried about it... wrong answer I know). I didnt think too much about that either and proceeded to drive it around a bit. It was a little low on fuel and as I went up a hill it seemed to begin stalling out so I slowed down and took it out of the power settings on the chip. When I got back on the gas the RPMs would climb but the truck would barely move. I got out and put some more fuel in it and tried to start it up again. It started but the same inability to move continued and it stalled out. I tried to start the truck up again and it went all the way to the point it should turn over and run on its own and it made a loud knocking noise and kept doing that. From there I removed the chip and tried to start the truck again and got the exact same results. Here are the possibilities I can think of:
1. It ran out of fuel and now needs to be primed
2. Something is wrong with the alternator
3. Something else entirely went wrong
*Note: I did not go crazy on the truck with the new chip. I eased onto the accelerator and didnt see the rpms go above 3,000
If you know anything about what could have gone wrong please respond with possible solutions. I'd love to fix it in place and get it moved ASAP, but realize that may not be possible at all.

Last edited by woerthinny; 01-15-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If you were low on fuel you may have been sucking air into the fuel system. Witch would cause the bad running of the engine.

To prime the fuel system turn the key on and off a couple times. Other then that you will have to start up the truck and let it idle to get all the air out of the fuel system.

Repair the alternator. All your doing is stressing out your batteries.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Big Country,
I went back to the truck and pushed a bunch of fuel back through the truck. We are seeing white smoke again and it even sounded like it wanted to start a few times. We are going to try to check the alternator tomorrow if it doesnt start up. thanks for your advice. It made a lot of sense once I read it (the symptoms being similar from the filter change to the problem).
Brandon
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerthinny View Post
Big Country,
I went back to the truck and pushed a bunch of fuel back through the truck. We are seeing white smoke again and it even sounded like it wanted to start a few times. We are going to try to check the alternator tomorrow if it doesnt start up. thanks for your advice. It made a lot of sense once I read it (the symptoms being similar from the filter change to the problem).
Brandon
Your fuel pick up in the tank maybe clogged, fuel pump may not be supplying the proper amount of fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.