O/D WONT GO OFF - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question O/D WONT GO OFF

I HAVE A E4OD TRANNY ON MY 99 F250. I PRESS THE BUTTON ON THE SHIFTER AND NOTHING. BEFORE IT WOULD ONLY WORK WHEN PARKED AND AS I WOULD PUT IT ON DRIVE THE LIGHT WOULD GO OFF. NOW IT JUST DONT WORK WIRING INSIDE LOOKS GOOD AND CONNECTOR OUTSIDE LOOKS GOOD. FUSE IS ALSO GOOD. DEALER SAID IT COULD BE THE PCM. I DONT NKOW WHAT TO DO PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That trans should be a 4r100 How does it shift.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM

I have an E4OD in my 97 and when the trans was rebuilt they said that the snapring came off of the OD assembly. Turns out this is a common problem and there is an upgraded snap ring.
I got to watch them put the new on on when they assembled my tranny, no way a new one would come off.
But I agree with Powerplant, Are you sure it is an E4OD? and Not the 4R100.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM

I BELIEVE SO. AT LEAST THATS WHAT THE ORILLES PEOPLE SAID WHEN I GOT A NEW FILTER FOR IT. IT SHIFTS KINDA HARD WHEN THE OIL IS COLD. BUT REALLY SMOOTH THE OIL HOT. WHAT COULD CUASE THE O/D NOT TURNING OFF??
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
It maybe the wires in the steering column they can break and short out. Witch could cause your problem. I have heard about it a couple times on here. I would check that out. I would also take it to a trans shop and have them run a diagnostic test on it. If you have any transmission trouble codes a regular code scanner will not retrieve them. I rather pay 100 dollars to have it checked out by a trans shop then pay 1800 for a rebuild.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Well, I know that when you do a rebuild, alot of the parts can be the same. Example: my shift kit was for both E4)D and 4R100.
A good trans shop can tell you at a glance. There are other way's but they slipped my mind(had to learn something new) I'm sure a tech will pick up on this.

But keep in mind, There are alot of things that it could be, nothing will tell you like a good diagnostic.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM

I KNOW THAT. BUT ITS JUST SO HARD TAKING IT TO SOMEONE ELSE. KNOWING THAT I CAN FIX IT. AFTER ALL I DO WORK ON DIESEL RIGS SO THIS SHOULD BE EASY RIGHT?? I HOPE LOL!! DANGET FINE ILL TAKE IT.BUT JUST TO GET IT SCANNED!!! I WANT TO FIX IT.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardj1986 View Post
I KNOW THAT. BUT ITS JUST SO HARD TAKING IT TO SOMEONE ELSE. KNOWING THAT I CAN FIX IT. AFTER ALL I DO WORK ON DIESEL RIGS SO THIS SHOULD BE EASY RIGHT?? I HOPE LOL!! DANGET FINE ILL TAKE IT.BUT JUST TO GET IT SCANNED!!! I WANT TO FIX IT.
Scanning may help you find the problem. My E4OD didn't have any codes at all, But when It was disassembled, there was the snapring.

Of course, Scanning is ALWAYS the place to start. As for you fixing it, go for it. Transmitions are the only thing I wont do. I'll do everything else.
I watched the guy rebuild mine, it didn't look that hard. Just a crap load of parts.

I know if you do a rebuild you will want a press. other then that I have no Idea on special tools required.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Lizard I am not going to tell you what to do. But unless you have torn down one of these transmissions. Save yourself the head ache. Let a tech that does it everyday for a living do it for you. Or find someone that will help you do it that has done it. Because if you do rebuild it, and decide to put a shift kit in it to raise line pressure. Well if you put the wrong spring in the wrong spot. Or if you drill a hole in the wrong spot on the valvebody your not going to know it till you get the truck all back together.

I am telling you this from experince. I have rebuilt turbo 350's and turbo 400's, but when I attempted to rebuild the 4R100 in my truck. I ended up going to a trans shop 6 months later.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM

SO YOU TOO HAVE A E4OD THEN?? WHY DID THIS GUYS ACT ALL WIERD WHEN I TOLD THEM THAT I HAD ONE??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.