NEED HELP!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to strokin' fool
Exclamation NEED HELP!!!!!!

I have an early 99 F250 7.3 with 280,000 miles on it. I have had a problem for about 2 weeks now. I went out to start it one cold morning and it started then began to run really rough and clang and ping and whit smoke everywhere. I shut it off and realized that the fuel gauge was just above the red line. I thought maybe it was running out of fuel. I went to the gas station to pick up some diesel. I put 2 1/2 gallons of diesel in and the water in fuel light came on. The truck turned on but ran rough for a minute or two. I drove it up to put more diesel in it. I put 15 gallons in it and it still ran a little rough but cleared up. I drove about 18 miles to a friends house. After being the for about 4 hours I went to leave. The truck started fine but with in 100 feet it began white smoking really bad again. It shut off on me. I got it started again after alot of cranking but it soon died again. I took the fuel/water filter out and replaced it. The water in fuel light did not come back on but the truck would not start. I had it towed to my cousins house. We checked to see if the fuel was being pumped into the filter housing. It was a very weak flow with air bubbles. We tested the fuel pressure just after the fuel pump and got 10 pounds. We pulled the fuel pump and found pieces of dirt and junk coming out of it. I ordered a new one and waited for it to come in. While we waited for the fuel pump, we dropped the tank, took out the sending unit and cleaned the tank out and the sending unit. We put everything back in and finally got the fuel pump. We installed the pump and had good flow into the fuel/water bowl. We primed the lines by cycling the key 4 or 5 times. We then tried to start the truck. It would crank and crank but no start. We heard the fuel from the return line coming back into the tank and there was good fuel pressure at the bowl. I checked all of the fuses and all seemed to be good. Why won't the truck start?????? Any good ideas. I just had the camshaft position sensor replaced about 2 months ago and the tach does move a little when cranking. I just had the glow plugs replaced about 3 months ago. I am running out of ideas?????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM

CHECK YOUR OIL!! MINE WOULD DO THE SAME. IT SMOKES AND RUNS REALLY BAD RIGHT AT LEAST WHEN IT DID? LOL J/K YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE ANY OIL IN YOU ENGINE AND THEY DO USE THAT DO INJECT FUEL. IF YOU HAVE NONE CHANCES ARE YOUR TURBO IS OUT! GOOD LUCK BUDDY! LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
First off if you can scan the truck for codes. Even if the cel is not on. There still maybe codes saved in the computer.

Check the oil level in the HPOP. Check the voltage in the batteries. You need at least 11.5 volts to operate the pcm. The truck will crank with 11 volts. But the pcm will not be working.

There are many things that could be the cause of the problem. It would help to have a diagnostic computer to preform tests like the injector contribution, injector buzz test. These tests will at least let you know if the injectors are working.

Check the UVC Wiring Harness, it may have a bad connection, may be shorted out. If so this could cause an engine will crank no start situation.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks guys. I made sure the truck had oil and it is midway between the marks. I did check the voltage last night and it was at 11.8 and we charged the batteries all night. How do i check the oil level in the hpop? and what is the UVC?? I scanned the system for codes and nothing popped up the other day. I am just puzzled??
Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the truck may not start do to air in the lines priming the pump isnt good enough you will be cranking for ever you need to crack open the lines and bleed them untell all the air is out also on cummins sometimes we cause a vacume like problem while doing these so pop open your gas cap while bleeding the lines, check your oil and I would toss some kind of diesel clean in your tank to make sure that its good diesel its could where I am and if you have lil on no diesel in your tank this can cause condisation in your tank warm fuel hits could air causes moister causes water in tank,, you should always run a fuel addative in the winter unless your always on a full tank. these are my opinions coming from a cummins owner..
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Sorry I should have been more clear.

UVC Under Valve Cover Wiring Harness it is the harness that goes to the injectors and glowplugs. They can short out at the connections at the valve cover and under the valve cover. If this has happened it may render one or more injectors not working properly.

Geterdid the 7.3L PSD engine is self priming fuel system. The fuel injectors are operated by high pressure oil that is obtained from the high pressure oil pump. As well as electric signal from the IDM Injector Drive Module.

The High Pressure Oil Pump is located on the front engine cover. You can check the oil level and fill the hpop by the fuel filter housing. If you remove that plastic little cover that says powerstroke or something like that. Underneath that piece of plastic is two hex plugs. You will need an allen wrench to remove them. Remove them and see if there is oil in the hpop if you do not see oil, then fill it with the same oil you use in the engine.

Another thing you can do is if your truck has the block heater. Plug it in for 3 hours then attempt to start it. If it starts up after you have it plugged in for 3 hours then I would check the glow plug relay. As that may not be working properly. If that is not working properly it may not start or cause a hard cold start situation.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Hey Big Country, how do you test the IDM? Thanks for your help!! I will try this tonight or in the am. I will get back with you. I appreciate all of your answers

Last edited by strokin' fool; 01-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fordfan99350
i would go ahead looking at the HPOP... i have seen them go on trucks with 30,000 mi on them. i just bought one for my truck yesterday, at almost $500 + a $300 core.
also note* if you do need to replace it, put in one from a 2000-2003, not the early99's
early99 had less psi but not by much. also get a price at an international dealer.

good luck
Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin' fool View Post
Hey Big Country, how do you test the IDM? Thanks for your help!! I will try this tonight or in the am. I will get back with you. I appreciate all of your answers
I am not quite sure. I never had to test one.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM

thanks everyone for your input. I checked the oil level in the HPOP and it was full. I plugged in the truck or 3 hours and no such luck. I feel that I have checked all that I can check without a computer. Is there anything else I can check without a computer scan?? Or am I going to have to get it towed to the dealership? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.