was it necessary to replace turbo pedestal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
was it necessary to replace turbo pedestal?

First post but i feel like i've been here for a long time (been googling questions about this topic for the last 8 hours) and post on this forum keep coming up on google so i joined. Still am not comfortable with info.
Have a 2002 f250 2wd w/164000 miles that i bought new and have not modified anything. I am familiar with the warm up scenario (had a 99 exactly like my 02 that made it to 89k before it was totaled) and always liked the idea in colder weather (i live in Tx so cold here is 30 to 40) that the rpms raised and the exhaust was redirected to help speed the warm up(but from the many post i got on google from the many forums, most people talk about disconnecting all this) Well, at 159000 the seals on my hpop went out and i took it to a dealership who does lots of work on psd's and they repaired it to my liking. The first cold morning i can rember afterrepair (probably within two weeks) my warm up ritual made my heart sink. After the first few minutes when started, i could still hear the different pitch in the exhaust, but it would not stay at high idle. It would rev up and down (never a problem starting and keeping running). I hoped it was something that had just stuck this particular time, but it kept doing it morning after morning. Never had power problems, could even touch brake pedal and it would go to normal idle. Truck drove as normal. Take back to dealer and accuse them of messing something up in warmup mech when they repaired my hpop. They stated in no way is anything touched in that area when that repair is done. I have changed the oil and filter on this truck every 4000 miles, change air filter and fuel filter every 15k..I am po'ed. Leave the truck, they run diags and come up with its in the turbo pedestal that is making the high idle go in and out. From what i have learned here and other threads on the 0476 code, it is always the ebp ensor. What i have still to figure out is: does the ebp sensor run the high idle, or does it "tell" something in the turbo pedestal to make it go to high idle? I plan on driving this truck for another 7 or 8 years so i spent the mega load to have the turbo pedestal replaced. I still don't know what the actual mechanical diffs are from what the pedestal does from the ebp (which they replaced when they replaced pedestal). I just hope i wasn't taken on a major repair when it could have been just a sensor. From the way my truck runs when a camshaft sensor goes to the way it runs after i slip another one has made a bit paranoid. I guess the credibility for dealer is he did rec that i just plug it in on cold nights. I want my truck to run the way it has run from when it was new, its just the timing of the repair on the hpop to the immediate failure of the warm up system that po's me...maybe just fluke. I know it could not have been high pressure washing because the valley was left with alot of oil after the hpop repair. The truck started faster than it ever has this morning in 28 degrees...went to high idle....exhaust was redirected... so its back to working (first morning back). Could that eradic idle in the cold start process only be repaired by replacing the pedestal? Was i doing good to get 164000 miles out of the original pedestal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org

I'm not familiar enough with the EBPV to answer your questions with confidence, but don't worry, there are several here that can give you the straight scoop. Welcome to the site, and hang in there.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome hope its fixed.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I think what they replaced was the gaskets and seals on the turbo pedestal. I don't think they actually replaced the pedestal itself. The seals and gaskets of the pedestal can leak. I am not sure what the syptoms are when it does start leaking because I have not had that problem. But I am sure a tech will be along to give you more info.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as you can tell from my winded descriptions, you can bet i cut my knuckles up getting in there to tell it was replaced. The only thing i see functioning from this pedestal is an arm that attaches to a pulley on a pipe coming from the turbo (wastegate open/close?)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like they got a code for the exhaust back pressure valve, former owner may have just unplugged it. So the service tech replaces the part, a way to return the system to normal. The valve actuator can stick. The dealer makes over 100% on the parts they repackage from International.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no, i bought the truck new. This valve actuator, is that what redirects the exhaust (closes/opens) to speed warm up? Does/can it affect idle speeds in the warm up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.