2001 F-250 w/7.3 Cold Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2001 F-250 w/7.3 Cold Start

I have been "fighting" this problem for the 2nd winter now.

My 7.3 will not start when it is cold. White smoke out of exhaust while cranking. When warm, or when the block heater is plugged in, it starts perfectly.

The truck is a California truck and has a Glow Plug Module. It also has what appears to be a Glow Plug Relay (I thought that the modlue was in place of the relay). Truck has new batteries. 2 different mechanics have checked it out, and both say the glow plug system is working properly testing with an ohm meter. The Glow Plug Module was replaced with no success. The 2nd mechanic claims to have pulled the left valve cover and one of the glow plugs (although I don't know which one). Claims that he "bench tested" this glow plug and it performed just as a new one. He also indicated that oil and fuel systems (to include pressure) is perfect. He then claimed that he concluded that I had low compression, and the engine needs rings. He did mention that had never seen a 7.3 so clean at the turbo with this many mikes (105K). He said it must have been hot, as he was pretty sure it did not get dirt in it.

I have owned the truck since it was new. While I only put an EGT gauge on the summer before the problem started, it has never been over 1,050 degrees (for an instant) or over 800 - 850 degress for any duration in pulling (I pull a race trailer that weighs maybe 7,500#s on occasion). The first 5 years I owned it, I did not have an EGT guage, but never pushed it hard. I also put a Quadzilla F-Chip in it with a 4" exhaust at the same time I installed the EGT guage. I have been extremely mindful of the EGTs since putting the chip in.

I have a hard time believing that the rings are bad. The truck uses no oil and has not had any reduction in power or fuel mileage. Furthermore, if the water temp is above 46 degrees, it will start. Pretty specific about the water temp to get it to start.

I also do not see any movement in the voltage guage in the dash when I cycle the glow plugs, although the light and chime do work. Neither mechanic mentioned whether they checked the system using the OBD-II diagnostics.

I've heard one or more bad glow plugs can cause this problem. Could the PCM be the problem? What of the Glow Plug Timer I now read about? How do you check this?

Ideas? Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
cant really help, ive got that problem, but i also lost fuel milliage and have 232k so i figure its the rings.... not looking forward to that, so this is just a bump for someone who knows what they are talking about
Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

there isnt a glow plug timer , the glow plugs are controlled by the pcm ,and on time is monitored by the engine oil temp reading to the pcm ,if the glow plug module was replaced and it didnt help but you say you can ttell if its on or not , may want to have all wiring checked to relay to make sure its working , there are pinpont tests to verify operation, i dont know how experienced the mechanic is thats been looking at it , and im not knocking him at all but maybe hes not digging deep enough to find the problem,the other piece you ae refeering to thst looks like a glow plug relay is the air intake heater , which very seldom ever gets used, that want cause your hard to start problem, if the engine is running right and you dont se any problems ,then i dont think you have a low compression issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.