2000 F250 7.3L was running fine, died, now having issues HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F250 7.3L was running fine, died, now having issues HELP!

Ok, I am a woman so bear with me. I'm just looking for answers on where to start. Wednesday I left truck running while waiting on the vet. 20 minutes goes by, truck dies. I go turn key off and restart. Restarts, no problems. I turn it off. 30 minutes goes by while I am with the vet. I get in truck start it and drive away. It falters, like I took my foot off the gas and then put it back on. Then it dies. Start it back up and take off again. It starts surging. Like I am pushing my foot on the gas, then letting off. BAD.

We change fuel and air filter today and I get in and take off. Runs great. Another trip to the vet and 10 miles out it starts surging again. I think maybe I got bad diesel so stop and fill up and run injector cleaner thru it. Make it to vet no problems. Then on the way home, I decide to drive it for over an hour to make sure there are no issues. None! It drove like a champ.

Hook up to horse trailer and head off down the road. No problems. Get about 20 miles and stop at stop light and it dies. Start it back up, now it is running ROUGH. Everytime I stop, I have to keep my foot on the pedal so it won't die. Make it home and sitting in it and it dies again. This goes on for 3-4 more times. I finally give up.

Does anyone have any ideas where to begin looking for the issue???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that sounds like a uvch connector backing out. either that or the cps.
check the codes using a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes. if you have a p1316 code, run an injector buzz test
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 AM

HUTCH MOD

sounds fuel related/restrictions....

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
that sounds like a uvch connector backing out. either that or the cps.
check the codes using a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes. if you have a p1316 code, run an injector buzz test
+1 on the under valve cover harness(UVCH). Mine acted very intermittitent like that. No ryhme nor reason. Mine is a 2001 and the harness was very brittle. And both sides had come loose under the valve cover. This something that you must do if you have not addressed it yet. They all have the problem with your model. They only thing that concerns me is the sudden shut off. Which could be a fuel issue like TimmyBoy stated. These things have a lot going on under the hood. That crank position sensor(CPS) is another option. They were recalled by Ford. Have you had that taken care of yet? Then there is all the control modules. Which could be a possiblilty. The best bet is to get it to someone with a diagnostic scanner. You can start throwing money at it quick. I just was thinking it could be something as simple as loose battery connection also. That would be very possible from what you are saying. Where are you located? Maybe some knows a trusty mechanic in your area. If you are up north the baterry cables are known to corrode. Start with the basics like the battery/cables first. Please post what you find so it can help someone else down the road. There are hundreds of threads like this. Where people come on here ask questions till they get it fixed. But never take a few minutes to post what fixed it for the next guy(gal).

Last edited by jonnywilliams; 03-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

I'd get it scanned for what codes it should have.
Easy things to check for are the Under Valve Cover Harness that sends electrical signals to the injectors. Common issue.
The CAMshaft position sensor is common too. Cheap.
After that there are still common things but not as cheap. Injector Control Pressure sensor could be bad. Possibly fuel issue, but I would doubt it. And I'd doubt that it's battery cables also. Never hurts to make sure they're good, but you have an alternator that would keep supplying power to everything.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about a bad alternator? Would that cause all the problems I laid out? We went to pull the batteries to check them and I mentioned the alternator and since we were headed to town anyway we went to pull it and the line that connects it was burnt and it broke. We took it into town and it tested bad so we bought a new one. Will get it put back in tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM

no. if it were the alternator, it wouldn't have restarted without a jump.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in Oklahoma. Does anyone know a good Ford diesel mechanic around here?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, got the alternator put back in and it was running like a champ. I drove it for over an hour and it did the stutter thing, where it felt like someone had taken my foot off the gas and then slammed it back on. Did that about 5 times all at once, then didn't do it the whole way home, about a 20 minute drive. However, when I got home and backed into its space it did it a few times and about died. We have changed the cps, back when the recall came out. However, I am going to buy another one of those this evening and have him change that. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM

have you even checked for codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.