Manifold gauge pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manifold gauge pressure

Took off an old chip and installed a new one and have experienced a 3mpg drop in mileage. All my fill-ups are hand calculated. Truck is running 38r , and AC single shots , intake , 4" TB , regulated return , EBPV and pedestal delete. Boost gauge in truck is reading 30-32 psi in all tunes , stock , econo , daily and hot. Boost gauge is tied in where the AIH was. Truck had the dfuser boost fooler and another inline blow off valve at the map line. Removed both am now getting the overboost code and still a low reading on AE. On AE i am only seeing 16psi max on the Manifold gauge pressure. Tried a new MAP today and still get the same readings. Trying to figure out with tuner but am at a loss as what to check or do next....... Any ideas would be much appreciated !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM

Also , truck seems to run great just upset with the mpg drop. Was told its not fueling right due to the readings. Fuel pressure is holding strong at 65-69 psi on WOT runs.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM

clean/check/replace the EBP and tube?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Didn't think it would affect readings at the MAP but will try. Thought i had it up on AE a few weeks back and it looked in line with what i was reading.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM

I bought this truck from a friend , but in this pic this is what was hooked up going to the map. The plug at the bottom center right has the purple o-rings in the connector , is that not the EBP sensor plug ? My sensor is up front of the HPOP disconnected as in no plug plugged into it , truck does have EBPV blank pedestal. Is this where its routed after ?? Maybe hooking it up where it goes in the AM will yield what i'm looking for on the manifold gauge pressure. Not quite understanding how the EBP sensor effects the MAP which reads off the intake spider. Still trying to also figure out why it had a boost fooler and a blow-off valve.
Somedays i feel like such a

Edit - just found this setup as manufactured by Dfuser , so.......i guess this is the way it goes and the sensor up front is left alone

Last edited by scagle1; 03-07-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 AM

never seen that set-up before. I've heard of the fooler, but having the sensor tapped into the "manifold" as well..?

The EBP sensor is just that, it reads..Exhaust Back Pressure. Not sure HOW its going to readthat ,with it "tied" into the BOOST line.

I would ATLEAST, remove the sensor from DFUSER, install it back onto the ebp tube assy, infront of hpop. Plug wire assy to it, and get a 1/8npt plug, for the fooler.

With a gutted pedestal, the sensor unplugged, is fine, hang'n down in the valley.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Will work on that this morning. I am in agreeance as i dont understand how the EBP sensor is thinking if its getting the same reading as the MAP sensor ?

Brought this over from another sitewhere we are working on the same problem -
EBP 14.2 up to 30 on hard acceleration. Manifold absolute pressure and Exhaust Back pressure seem to stay in line with one another on stock setting. Manifold gauge pressure matches with boost gauge in stock setting up until 19 psi , after that gauge goes up to 30 but AE manifold gauge pressure stops at 19.

When i change to any other setting other than stock the Manifold absolute pressure drops by 2psi instantaneously and does not match the Exhaust back pressure anymore. Sometimes as much as 6psi offon hard accel. Manifold gauge pressure drops to -1.7 at a non boost cruise at 40 mph.

In the higher settings Manifold gauge pressure stops at 16 , boost gauge still see's 30-32 psi

Truck has the blank pedestal and ebpv sensor is tied into overboost fooler not the sensor on the front of the motor.

setup looks like this
94-03 7.3L Powerstroke Exhaust Back-pressure Sensor Eliminator with over-boost controller [EBPSE-3] : Storm Automotive Technologies, Your one stop auto shop

removed it yesterday and did some runs and got the same thing except for a code for the sensor as it wasnt plugged in.
Again , truck feels strong , just lost quite a few MPG when i pulled the old chip and installed the new one.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM

Removed the sensor from the boost fooler set-up , capped that plug, and put sensor back in the EBP sensor stock location , ran the plug back to it and connected it up. Removed EBP tube and cleaned although it was pretty clean , no blockage at all.
Took truck down road and got the same readings as before except was seeing up to 40's on EBP on WOT run , both EBP and MAP were 14.2 at idle.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Swapped the old chip back in and the readings are all as they should be , Manifold Gauge Pressure matches boost gauge and numbers are all good. Will see how this unfolds...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.