Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trailer Brake Wiring Problem

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SuperCrutyPS 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 F250 6speed manual ext cab 4x4. The build date is 2/99 and I am haveing a hard time getting the trailer brake controller to work. I have the brake controller hooked up inside to the controller wires that were cut and just hanging there. These wires were the same color as the ones on the controller (blue,white,red,black). I have no power so I did some research and I have moved under the hood where I believe I have the trailer brake relay box but I am not sure. I also have the same wire colors as inside that just stop near the power dist box and are heatshrinked. I put two relays in the relay holders and still did not have power. I then checked continuity between the wires under hood and the ones inside that are connected to the brake controller and they have continuity. http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/flatlandfreak/IMAG0230.jpg

#2 ·
What brand is the controller?
Have you checked to see if the wired plug is still there? Remove the panel under the steering wheel. Look to the right (section under the radio) There should a gray colored plug under there. Originally, you could get an adapter cable that would plug into your controller and then into that plug. No cutting/splicing etc.

Have you recently bought the truck from someone who wired their controller with the extra wires?

#3 ·
the previous owner had one in there at one time as there are holes drilled in dash to mount one. The wires come out of a larger loom of wires and had no connector on it so I had to hard wire controller. This pic is what I have questions about, there are wires that end by the power dist box that have continuity to the ones inside the truck hooked to the controller.

#4 ·
I figured it out. The plug was farther stuffed up under dash. The wires I found that were the same color are dummy wires that pass through the firewall and end by the power dist box so if anything needs to be added later. i did have to put two relays in the trailer tow relay dist box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.