Another 7.3L Leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another 7.3L Leaking

Hello everybody!

I'm new to Diesels and know didly about them, but I have learned a lot from this forum.

I have a 2002 F250, 7.3L PSD. I bought it about six months ago with only 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't appear to have any mods on it except for an upgraded exhaust.

I have developed a leak that I'm assuming is fuel. Looks like oil to me but after reading all the threads here it's got to be fuel. I first noticed puddles of fuel/oil in the manifold valleys, both front and rear. Now when I park the vehicle after driving it, the fuel/oil leaks down the rear of the engine and onto the ground leaving a nice size puddle.

I have used the search feature about fuel leaks and and there seems to be so many of them on the Powerstroke that it is at times confusing, especially since I have no knowledge of diesel engines.

Anyway I found the leak is coming from the fuel line located on the driver's side of the fuel pump. It is the line on the left that's painted with a green dot. It looks like there is either silicone residue or the remnants of an o-ring.

While the engine is running I can see the fuel leaking from where the line is threaded into the pump.

Questions:

Is this an easy fix and can I do it myself? I have a warranty on it but it's such a pain to leave it off at the dealership.

Can anybody send me a link on how to fix it?

Should I still be driving it with this leak until I get a chance to get it fixed?

Thank's in advance!

Here's some pics of what i'm talking about.

The fuel lines painted with a green dot at the bottom of the pic.

Close up of the fuel line. One on the left is leaking. Note the red silicone looking substance around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here is a bump. One of the tech's should be able to answer.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil leak

Good pic thats the oring for the high pressure pump fitting ford has a kit to replace 3 orings on the pump and green loctite so the fittings dont loosen up and blow the orings out.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke Techie

That is a high pressure oil line. The o-rings behind the fittings are leaking. It takes a special tool to release the lines from the fittings. Remove the fittings and replace the o-rings. Go to a hardware store or a hydraulic shop and get 90 durameter o-rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.