My PSD Died for no reason Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My PSD Died for no reason Why?

Anyone:

I was setting at a light today, and my 03 F250 SD 7.3L PSD died for no reason. Before it happened it sounded fine, I had just looked over my gauges as I always do (good habit) everything looked fine; then wahlah it just died. I turned the switch back to off, and tried to re-start, it cranked fine, and started right up.

I've owned this truck since 2005 and never had that happen before. I recently replaced glow plugs, wiring harnesses, valve cover gaskets, GP relay, and oil-filter and fuel filter approximately 2 months ago using all OEM parts.

Any idea what could have caused this? No check engine lights; absolutely nothing popped up. I scanned it and no codes appeared. I'm baffled.

Any help is appreciated if anyone else might have had this happen before. I've owned probably 8 PSD's since the 90's and never had this happen on any of them. Although I'm just now really starting to learn about working on them. Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's the situation with your CPS (Crank Position Sensor)? Has it been replaced in the recall campaign? If you've had 8 PSD's you Must be aware of the problem they have with the early CPS.

What are you scanning the truck with? Are you sure it works on our trucks (most don't). There might actually be a code that would help. Otherwise, think about carrying a spare CPS just in case (everybody should...) and wait for it to get worse so you can fix it!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM

My truck did this a while back (5 or 6 years). It was the CPS (the old style) It stalled 3 or 4 times in a couple days. I replaced the CPS and it never did it again.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes CPS was replaced in 2007. I'm using the code scout II.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 AM

mine did the exact same thing yesterday.. I think I am going to replace my CPS just in case
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2b1969 View Post
I'm using the code scout II.
Yea, that's not gonna do it... It doesn't have the Library for Ford proprietary Or diesel codes. I'm not saying it'll never do anything for you, just that when it comes back "No Codes Found" it's not an indication that there really AREN'T

This could be an early IPR issue, all sorts of stuff really, and maybe just the beginning of something that will develop into something more consistent (or might never happen again!)

If it were me, and it happens a second time, I'd change the CPS, put the old in in your glovebox as a spare, if it continues you didn't lose anything because you should have a spare anyway
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll replace the CPS again, however, what do you recommend for a diagnostic scanner. have the OBS Code scout II, but what do you recommend for the PSD's. I've owned quite a few PSD's, but just now really digging into them and learning how to work on them. Always had a mechanic in the past, but these days dimes and nickels are getting harder to come by. Thanks for the insight on the CPS too.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Hands Down, and I think pretty much everybody would agree, what you want is the AutoEnginuity w/Ford Enhanced package. You run it in "any ole laptop" for around $350. If you're doing more than your truck, the Domestic Package (US Big 3) is a Great thing to own too (for almost twice that)...

Because of the GVRW, the diesel, plus the fact that our system is Not, strictly, OBD-II but rather a variant called SAE J1850, there's nothing else out there that will come close for that price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.