Let it sit and it won't start- - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let it sit and it won't start-

I have a 2000 f250, if it sits for more than 16 hours or so it won't start. If I let it sit only overnight it will fire right up in the morning, wait until afternoon though and she won't do it. The starter sounds like it gets progressively more tired as I crank it, tonight it wouldn't jump either. The volt meter on the dash will drop below 8 when the glow plugs are on then jump back up after a couple minutes to the middle of the gauge. I just got the truck a couple weeks ago so I don't know what is normal or wrong just yet. When I first got it, when the wait to start light came on it would buzz. Doesn't do this anymore. Seems like there may be a draw from somewhere on the batteries or bad batteries, but they are optimas that can't be more than a couple years old. Any ideas would be great thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the forum! what part of the country are you in? if its freezing cold out that makes these things harder to start.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in Colorado, but I had the truck plugged in overnight as well. I don't know if this matters, but there is also a sound like a pump running up by the passenger front side of the truck. It goes for about two minutes or so then shuts off, I don't know if this is normal or not.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine did that during a 3 week trip to Ill. I changed the Alt. and it didnt fix it. I wound up changing 1 battery and it helped for a while then wound up buying 2 new ones.Low batteries are a real PITA with these trucks.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had similar starting problems with my 99 F250 PSD a few winters ago with letting it sit for anything more than overnight even with the block heater plugged in down here in Indiana/Chicago. Finally solved the problem by replacing both weak batteries with 2 new Gold Series Batteries from Auto Zone and problem was completely cured!
To play it safe,think I'm gonna go with a higher ampage Abulance style Alternator for a little added cranking assistance.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Premium Member

have the batterys tested. it takes a lot of juice to turn over the motor, week batts. will make it tough to start, especially in the cold + alot of cranking is not really good for the life of the starter.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you guys were spot on. The right battery was shot, 0 cold cranking amps. Had two new Interstates put in with 1000 cca's. Needed new glow plug relay as well, now she fires up with no fuss what so ever. thanks for the help
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Read my post on the Cam Position Sensor recall. Mine had the same problem as yours did and after 2 battery replacements (Optima) and an Alternator replacement I found the recall notice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.