ABS light on?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS light on??

Ok...not so urgent right now but after walking out to a basically dead battery this evening, I finally got the Beastie started after about an hour on the batt charger. Now the ABS light comes on. Am wondering if perhaps the dead batt (and I disconnected the underhood batt to clean the posts prior to charging) would set this off? I will have to do the same again in the morning in order to replace the Alt. It will not charge on a cold morning, nor, when the batt light goes off, does it seem to charge enough at idle to keep the batt(s) charged. I doubt anyone will chime in on this this evening, but I need to get this Beastie back on the road in the next day or so and don't have any money to put into fixing anything right now. I have to assume that this alt. is bad, or weak, and seems to be a regulator problem. Started a few days ago...when its cold outside, she just WILL NOT CHARGE until it gets hot. The alt is from AdvanceAuto...rebuilt...I know...I know...But when the other one bit the dust, they were the only one within 40 miles that had one (that I could afford at the time)..at least it's under warrenty. That aside..I'm really wondering about that ABS light..just started this evening..wasn't on when I parked the Beastie Saturday and haven't driven since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
not sure about the batteries having anything to do with it, but it may. if a new alternator and/or batteries dont help i would try the Wheel Speed sensor, since if it went bad it will also set the light off, its located on the top of the rear end. it will be the cheapest fix. around 25 to 30 dollars i think.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:05 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

howard if the batteries go dead then it will sometimes give a low voltage code from the abs module, after driven some it should go away
Old 12-26-2007, 04:33 AM

Thanks Scott...I was hoping that such would be the case. I have to go out in a few and remove the alt and take it back to AdvanceAuto. At some point, I'll actually get not only caught up but a bit ahead on bills and just go to a dealer and get a NEW alt. Also...while I'm thinking about it, do you know off hand, what size socket I need to remove the Tracking bar? It'll be metric and looks to be a pretty good sized sucker? It looks like a fairly simple task to change this, but knowing Murphy's Law, is there anything I should be watchful for?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

fore some reason howard 1 and 1/8 rings a bell but im not sure
Old 12-26-2007, 01:08 PM

I have a 1 1/8" combo wrench and it's just a tad small...I'm betting its metric so I'm heading down to Sears to find a couple of 1/2" drive sockets. It doesn't appear to be too complicated a proceedure to swap this thing out..at least until Murphy shows up. Is there anyrthing that comes to mind that I should be wary of when changing this over?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:09 PM

bny the way...any idea what the torque should be on these bolts/nuts?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtm View Post
bny the way...any idea what the torque should be on these bolts/nuts?
they have to be very tight howard , you probably wont even be able to break them loose with a hand ratchet , i dont torque them , just 1/2 inch drive impact tight
Old 12-26-2007, 04:57 PM

The only way I can see to get an impact wrench to the bolt on the right side would be to remove the tie rod...and I sure don't want to have to do that. On the bolt side...not enough room to put a socket and ratchet...bought a long metric box end..hopefully I can break it loose cause right now I sure as heck ain't got the money to have the dealer do it. The nut on the Driver's side has room for a socket...FYI left side is a 24mm nut, right side is a 30mm bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.