Help!!! Turbo Fart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kissimmee FL (With Mickey Mouse)
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!!! Turbo Fart

So I have done a lot of work to the truck lately. My newest problem is a turbo fart. I contacted Clay from RiffRaff he told me this is normal, but I don't like the sound is there any way to get rid of this. I have a ZF6 so it happens a lot. Yea I know I could undo everything I just did but that not going to happen. Bigger turbo? Bigger exhaust? Ported housing? Blow off valve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,764
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
only thing i can think of is, shift before to high of rpms are reached or find a more perplexed air filter assy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,739
Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You could upgrade to the wicked wheel
Garrett Turbo Compressor Wheel, Ford (1994-2003) 7.3L, TP38 & GTP38

It gets rid of turbo surge which in our super duty trucks is a common problem and is annoying and sounds bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kissimmee FL (With Mickey Mouse)
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
You could upgrade to the wicked wheel
Garrett Turbo Compressor Wheel, Ford (1994-2003) 7.3L, TP38 & GTP38

It gets rid of turbo surge which in our super duty trucks is a common problem and is annoying and sounds bad
It's not surge. I have a "wicked wheel" E99 billet wheel on it. It is a turbo fart, bark call it what you like. It happens any time I am over 15 psi and let off the peddle to shift. It does not take much to do this, 15 psi is nothing when you have done mods. I get 28-30 psi WOT. I did find Rudy's performance makes a BOV for the powerstroke. But at $600 I don't know.

After extensive reasearch here are the conclusions. Turbo fart is caused by the engine no longer needing the air (boost) so this boost has no where to go so it is expelled out the intake. I know that people say its normal and it won't hurt anything. But the turbine is suddenly slowed down by this air. It can't be good for the turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,764
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another idea is to get a bigger exhaust housing..1.0 / 1.15

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett 1.0 A/R Wastegated Exhaust Housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kissimmee FL (With Mickey Mouse)
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
another idea is to get a bigger exhaust housing..1.0 / 1.15

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett 1.0 A/R Wastegated Exhaust Housing
How would that work? Isn't it too much pressure on the cold side that is causing the problem? I really want to know I'm learning.

Last edited by Rishsd; 02-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mercer County WV
Posts: 2,988
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishsd View Post
After extensive reasearch here are the conclusions. Turbo fart is caused by the engine no longer needing the air (boost) so this boost has no where to go so it is expelled out the intake. I know that people say its normal and it won't hurt anything. But the turbine is suddenly slowed down by this air. It can't be good for the turbo.
I see where you are coming from with your research. It is perfectly norml in a turbo diesel application. My 6.0 and 6.4 had turbo fart in stock tuning with cold air intakes installed. A blowoff valve will remedy the situation but you have to look at the cost of that. There are guys running big power numbers who have turbo fart and don't run BOV setups.

But, if you are dead set on getting rid of that, a bigger turbo may help it some. I had a 5.9 Dodge that would fart occasionally and when I installed an Aurora 4000 turbo, it went away. (Truck was a six speed) Or you can run a BOV. It's your choice where you want to spend the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kissimmee FL (With Mickey Mouse)
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
I see where you are coming from with your research. It is perfectly norml in a turbo diesel application. My 6.0 and 6.4 had turbo fart in stock tuning with cold air intakes installed. A blowoff valve will remedy the situation but you have to look at the cost of that. There are guys running big power numbers who have turbo fart and don't run BOV setups.

But, if you are dead set on getting rid of that, a bigger turbo may help it some. I had a 5.9 Dodge that would fart occasionally and when I installed an Aurora 4000 turbo, it went away. (Truck was a six speed) Or you can run a BOV. It's your choice where you want to spend the money.
So it's a BOV or a 38r. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,764
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe this will also help...

Riffraff Diesel: ATS Ported Compressor Housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors