7.3 starts then dies and wont start up again unless I use starter fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 starts then dies and wont start up again unless I use starter fluid

My 2000 7.3 has had a problem of starting then dieing out if i dont rev the engine up when i start it. Once it dies it wont start unless I use starter fluid, witch i hate doing. I have had the injectors and glow plugs replaced but it hasnt helped. Truck has about 260k on engine and runs strong. Also it only does this if its been a few hours since i cranked it such as mornings, or after work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you haven't already destroyed things with the working Glow Plugs and Either

You might consider getting it on a good scanner to monitor the Hi-Pres Oil sensors ans it's trying to start.

Could be as simple as low compression, I donno, if you've been using either on it it might be too late
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Start with the basics. Don't use Ether unless you know what you are doing, good way to blow her up. First thing check voltage at batteries while cranking. It may sound strong, but if they drop below 11 volts change both with proper sized batteries ( 850 CCA min). If this looks good unplug the ICP and see if it starts. Does it start ok when plugged in? If ICP has oil on the connector and if it starts and runs fine with it unplugged change the ICP. Then ohm all GP's and see if they are still working after the ether.
Next is check the level of the HPOP oil. I just got back from seeing my son in ND and it was -54 and the truck was turning over but not firing. Check batteries and they were dropping to 9.6. Two new Motorcraft batteries, but no start. ICP, GPR and all gp's are good. Checked HPOP oil and it was bone dry. Filled her up and she kicked right over. Both the LPOP and HPOP are mechanical pumps, so under long cranks it is very possible to run the HPOP dry. This is what happened with us just a couple weeks ago. I was never so happy to hear a truck start and the heater work in my life. Y'all can keep those temps!!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its starting up fine but dies in the morning if i dont tap on the gas pedal somtimes. And i have also noticed that if I park it on a down hill slope it wont die. It runs great through the day no problems at all. glow plugs are new and working great along with bateries and injectors. There seems to be a small knock in the motor when it warms up, but the guys at the local diesel shop says it sounds normal.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawerence View Post
Its starting up fine but dies in the morning if i dont tap on the gas pedal somtimes. And i have also noticed that if I park it on a down hill slope it wont die.
sounds like the hpop is bleeding off. With it parked, nose down, the oil cant flow back to pan, thru the stand pipe.

Check the lpop psi..(200psi filled gauge, couple adaptors from hydraulic store..#4orb with 1/8nptf connector for the hpop fill plug) and with it idling, check the pressure.

Theres a checkvalve, under the hpop toward driv side, you can get to it with a 3/8 extension, but a pain at that. Maybe somethings stuck in there keeping it open. Also, which will suck, is theres a crack in the standpipe up in the hpop or down inside the pan, to feed the lpop.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im currently experiencing the exact same issues.. did this ever get resolved? If so what was the issue?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM

I saw a few diesel engines torn apart that someone had used ether in.... yeah after seeing that I don't want to touch the stuff at all... It REALLY scored the cylinder walls, I wouldn't do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.