99 PSD missing out injecter o-rings? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 99 PSD missing out injecter o-rings?

Hi i have a 99 psd that is missing. U can hear it through the exhaust. And @ idle the truck kinda bobs a little. Not to mention its kinda low on power. No chip nothing. just a straight pipe.

I took it to the local dealer ship and they thought it was a bad pcm Or injector o'rings were going bad. But she( yes she) said the orings usually make them smoke black.

She also said the miss was all over the place. 18726345 randbon missing. But i thank it sound like a dead miss. It doesnt smoke at all!
under 200k non abused truck.

what can it be? is the oring thing realistic? they didn't charge me for looking at it and I'm supposed to bring it there Monday and they will look at it more. That there's a plug in the back of the turbo that might be sticking. for the warm up.
PLEASE HELP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 02:50 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say the O rings as well. I had the same problem with the snapping and popping through the exhaust. It actually felt like the timing was too far advanced in a gas car. I would let up on the throttle and it would stop making the noise. I had the injectors pulled and I had three O rings that had a groove eroded into it and two copper crush washers eroded through as well. If I were you, I would replace the O rings and see what happens, the worst thing is you have performed some good preventative maintenance. Actually the worst thing is the cost they will charge you to do the job. Figure around 9 hours so at least a $1K.

It takes me 4-5 hours to pull injectors, evacuate the fluid from the cylinders, install the injectors and button everything back up.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Jon

miss

Well if you are confident that it is a dead miss I would check the under valve cover harness's. Also do you change your own oil? I have had several 7.3's come in that had fresh oil in them but it was 5w20 and that will cause a miss that jumps from one cyl to another.

Oh yeah, what codes did she get?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

NO, i just bought the truck, I cought the miss the first time i saw the truck.
he said it was normal but i didnt fell like argueing w/ him

Its not a mayjor miss. dut i can feel it and hear it.

Its a little low on the power also. IT has no codes also.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Jon

Hmmm

my question then is how does she know it is jumping from one cyl to the next if its not setting any codes? You have to run a cyl contribution test to get that info. It could really be any number of things. Did you buy it from that dealer?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
my question then is how does she know it is jumping from one cyl to the next if its not setting any codes? You have to run a cyl contribution test to get that info. It could really be any number of things. Did you buy it from that dealer?
NO i didnt buy it @ the dealer, i got of off some guy for 13,000

The had what she called a cut out box where she could kill different cyls.
I dont rember what tool she ued to see the misfires.

she said that she thought the the thing on the rear of the turbo needed cleaned. it was to make it warm up faster. Thought it might be sticking?

there doing it for free coz they couldnt tell what the problem was the first time. so if it takes 100hrs its still free.
ya i cant beleve it .
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont see how its multiply calenders. It seems like a steady miss. even when you give IT throttle under a little of a load.. i was told by the old owner that it needed o'rings on the injecters but i didn't realize that it would cause a miss. she said that yes the o'rings could make a miss but 9 times outta 10 they smoke like a *****.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Jon

yes

thats right, an oring can cause it to run terrible and yes it will smoke.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just fixed my van last week. It had a miss. It turned out to be the wiring harness under the driver's side valve cover. The connector was partially unplugged. The clip that holds the connector together was gone. I plugged it back together and zip tied it. No more miss!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im going to check te harness.

U have to take the valve covers off right?
O-ring thing. It DOENT smoke AT ALL! never cold start exc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.