99 ford 7.3 long time to start and smokes a lot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 ford 7.3 long time to start and smokes a lot

I have a 99 ford f-250 and it started smoking a little when I would start the truck a few weeks ago. Now 2 days ago it was 10 degrees out I tried to start it and it would act like it wants to start but never stayed running. ( I have really fast cranking) than I figured maybe my fuel was frozen so later after work I tried again and it still wouldn't start. My dad told me on his truck he just pushes the throttle 1/8 " an his starts. So I went out and tired that. Sure enough it worked and my exhaust pumped out a puff of black and started rolling out white smoke for about 2 minutes. After about 5 min my exhaust was totally clear . 1 hour later my truck had to start the same way and did the same thing with the smoke. I have been reading many forms and see it from one extreme to the other. Any one see this before and can help. really don't have a scanner my truck is not throughing a check engine light either . 207000 miles running Rotella t6 synthetic blend with hotshots in the oil, oil is black.
Thanks
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallegos276 View Post
I have a 99 ford f-250 and it started smoking a little when I would start the truck a few weeks ago. Now 2 days ago it was 10 degrees out I tried to start it and it would act like it wants to start but never stayed running. ( I have really fast cranking) than I figured maybe my fuel was frozen so later after work I tried again and it still wouldn't start. My dad told me on his truck he just pushes the throttle 1/8 " an his starts. So I went out and tired that. Sure enough it worked and my exhaust pumped out a puff of black and started rolling out white smoke for about 2 minutes. After about 5 min my exhaust was totally clear . 1 hour later my truck had to start the same way and did the same thing with the smoke. I have been reading many forms and see it from one extreme to the other. Any one see this before and can help. really don't have a scanner my truck is not throughing a check engine light either . 207000 miles running Rotella t6 synthetic blend with hotshots in the oil, oil is black.
Thanks
Ryan
fast cranking might indicate low compression. might be the first thing to check.

SM
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I wouldn't say fast cranking than It would be normal Good call though I will probably have that done. If a glow plug or the GPR relay went out would that cause white smoke? I also heard I could have leaking injector Is there anyway to check that My truck is not missing
Thank you all for your time
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I just got home and tested my gpr and it has power to both sides of the terminal when the key is on and the front small wire. after it sat for a minute I lost power to the big terminal and both little wires got power( I used a test light). It's 45 degrees and my truck fired up pretty quick blew a lot of white smoke than keep down to a little and never cleared in about 8 minutes I had it running. I revved it and at rev it was clear.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Since no one decided to post I figured ill help out the guy who's in need. Turned out to be glow plug relay not producing enough volts so don't use a test light and 4 glow plugs out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.