Plugging it in... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plugging it in...

Hey Guys.........TOTALLY NEW to owning a diesel.

Bought my first one 2 months ago and LOVE IT, but I have a couple questions.

First, I bought a 2000 7.3L, with 184,00KM (yes thats Kilometers, I am a Canuck) haha

I was wondering, when plugging it in at night, how long should I leave it plugged in for? Ie....whats too long? I bought an automatic timer and wanted to know what it should be set too? A buddy said, "OH ****, its a Ford Diesel man, you can leave that thing plugged in forever!" (Dont really believe him)

Secondly, I dont use it ALOT during the week, as I live fairly close to work, but I do sometimes drive it, which doesnt really let it get warm enough. Is this going to take a toll on it? Or is it ok to do 3 short (1.5miles) trips to and from work each week and then run it long on the weekend?

And, is there an additive that should be getting put in each time when I fill it up? Someone had said you can put an additive in each time you fill it up, just a small amount each time to help the motor.

THanks guys.

Signed....................NEWBIE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

from what i have gathered around here is 3 hours is enough to warm it up.we have been as cold as 2 above here this year so far and i have not plugged in just make sure you have good batteries and glowplugs
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, coldest so far has been -8, but it might be getting colder.

The reason I also ask is because I plugged it in at like 10 at night and unplugged 8 the next morning, and was hoping by doing that I didnt do damage.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i don't think you will damage anything but your electric bill,from what they say it likes the wattage in your cottage,someone will be along shortly to elaborate i am sure
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
3 hours is more than enough time for it to be plugged in. You can go for longer than that if you need to. Mine has been plugged in for almost a week once without problem. I went on vacation and forgot about it
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys.

Any thoughts on the short distance driving?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I plug mine in when i go to bed and when i wake up its about 8 hours later. So leaving it plugged in won't hurt anything except your electric bill. It just keeps circulating warm water in the block. I also only drive 12 miles one way to work. This is the only vehicle i have to parking it now isn't an option, but longer trips are better for diesels. My family ahs racked up alot of miles on diesels recently and alot of them have been short trip stuff and no one has ever had any issues because of that. There just not as efficient when running short. You wanna make sure that if your doing a lot of short trips that you get on it once in a while to clear out the motor. It'll build up some carbon, but hey its fun blowing some smoke. Hope this helps ya! OH and welcome to the ORG!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Block heaters are thermostatically regulated to 120F so you can leave them plugged in forever, but it will just heat the coolant constantly for no reason.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys are awesome!!!

Thanks so much for the info.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Running ANY engine for a short enough time that its not fully warming up is not the best thing to do. While an engine is warming up condensation builds. If you shut your engine down before it has warmed up past this period of condensation build-up, then you are shutting it down with the moisture still there. Letting an engine warm up properly also helps to burn any moisture out of your oil. Short trips aren't going to cost you a bunch of repairs necessarily, but, it's not the best way to make one last. This is true for ANY engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.