Fuel Injector Control Module getting wet - fix 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Injector Control Module getting wet - fix 2000 7.3

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but it was driving me crazy, and I think I've finally found a fix for it, and was wondering if anyone else had come across and fixed this in their own way.

For a while there, if I hit a big puddle on the road, or last time it happened, gone through a car wash with an undercarriage spray... my fuel injector control's connections would get wet, and instantly make my truck go from purring like a lion, to sounding more like a lion choking on a bone and while hacking up phlegm.

I think it has something to do with the genius location of the computer being right behind the inner fender behind the front tire. After a couple of times of pulling the inner fender down, blowing out the connection with an air compressor, then using dielectric grease on it... I finished last time by coating the connector in the paint-on electrical tape. I figure this will keep the water out, and will be easy enough to get off if I should ever have to replace the module (knocks on wood).

Anyone else have this problem? How'd you fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Haven't seen a lot of problems with the connector, it's actually the fact that water gets In to the IDM that is pretty common. I think most of that water gets in there through the "breather" (round disk on the back) that I see the rebuilders glue-over...
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When I bought the truck, the guy that sold it to me said "Every now and then it will derate... but you pull over, turn it off, and start it up and it's fine... there was a little nest in the engine compartment so a mouse may have chewed a wire". But the truck was a steal (2000 350 with just over 150,000 miles for 6 grand).

Turns out it was the injector wiring harness that was bad... so some $1,200 later... I lost the derating problem. (did the glow plugs, had injectors cleaned, and new O rings on the injectors while the engine was torn down).

Then one day, I hit a puddle and didn't think much about it, but it had been raining pretty hard... well it Derates again... and I pull over shut it off, fire it up, and still the same. I limp it to a parking lot, and get it towed figuring it's the same problem... after having 2 mechanics look at it, they figured out that the injector control was the issue, and we took it off, put another one on, and it still did the same thing.

Finally out of frustration, he blew everything out to make sure there's a good connection, and it ran perfect.

Man, sometimes I think local cardiologists are doing this stuff to me to try to get my business.

But since I did the liquid electrical tape, I've not had any issues. And we've had some hard core rain.

*crosses fingers*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.