2002 7.3 Problems after re-seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 Problems after re-seal

Hey guys, I need some GURU help in a bad way. I have an 02 7.3 SD that I have owned for 10 years. It started to leak oil and the stealer told me it was a rear main. I found this site and started to search and found out about the HPOP etc. and thats exactly what it was along with the EBPV Pedestal. While I was in there I did glow plugs, new valve cover gaskets, re-sealed the injectors, EBPV elimination, rebuilt the turbo using Ron Hollands kit with the banks wheel and new blow off actuator. I finally got everything back together this evening and got it to run. And run well it does however my turbo to pedestal is leaking so I need to pull it apart again and replace the orings. Fortunately I bought complete kits from Diesel Orings and between his kits and Rons kit I have a complete spare set of the pedestal o rings. Now my problem is I have to crank it for 10 to 15 seconds before it starts and when it does it starts at a lower rpm then quickly comes up to the normal idle. It never did this before, it used to maybe crank for a second or two before it sprang to life. I have only run it for about 30 min and drove it about 5 miles when I saw my turbo is still leaking. It also blows blue, black and white smoke on hard accel and it is getting less blue and white but I know I do not have the air out of the system yet. Could this be my problem? Also on the EBPV elimination, the connector for the solenoid has nothing to go to. I was told this isnt an issue on the SD but who knows. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by englewoodcowboy; 02-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like you just need to drive her more. With removing everything, you introduced a ton of air. I'd rip the freeway for 50 miles, then see what she does.

With the turbo not sealing, did you replace those pedestal o-rings then or just gut it? May have not gotten the turbo aligned with the collectors' alignment pin.

With regards to the different colored smoke, its probably residual of coolant, oil and air, present in the fuel and oil system along with what was drained into the cylinders, removing the gp's and injectors....nice work
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking/hoping. As for the turbo, it was a pain to reinstall. All new seals were used and getting that pin to align, my first try I got it but it popped the small seal out I may have damaged it at that point so I'm going to try and lift the turbo enough leaving the rear clamp on and swapping the two o rings. If it won't move enough then I will release the rear clamp and replace the seals. Bottom line there is no easy way that I can see to do this short of lifting the cab but I have two more sets of seals so hopefully tomorrow will be my lucky day. Does the HPOP share oil with the rest of the engine or is it a stand alone system?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Winning DUHHH

Shared oil system, Goes from pan, to LPOP..To HPOP, to heads, to injectors, and back
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM

So it will bleed out the air on its own?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Winning DUHHH

Yes sir it will

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The second time around, the back clamp will not be near as hard to get loose. So don't stress about it. I don't think you can lift the turbo enough without taking it off to get to the o rings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 AM

yup, 2nd time and so on, the turbo removal is a no brainer
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the help. 2-1/2 hours to pull the turbo and re-install with new o-rings and the problem is solved. The truck is slowy starting faster each time and I am getting ready to put about 300 miles on her this evening. I bought this truck when it was 10 months old and fell in love with it then and I still love driving it every chance I get. To me its like my harley, sure I could live without them but who the hell wants too! This trip I replaced all the top end seals that I could, new pedestal, rebuilt turbo, rebuilt HPOP with the supposed non serviceable plug, new upper and lower ball joints, retrofitted to 2007 Harley Edition lights and a new grill. Grand total was right at $1700 to accomplish. That is 500 more than what the stealer wanted to just do my upper and lower ball joints. Last summer I put $1200 in new custom two toned leather seats and another $1k in a new Kenwood touchsceen stereo. New shoes will be in the end of this month 315-75R16 BFG KM2). My plans are to add a 4" SS exhaust this summer, refresh the suspension with air ride in the rear, rs9000 shocks all around, new springs in the front, urethane bushings throughout, paint the frame and undercarriage, upgrade the tailgate to the 2008 step gate and a complete respray. I will be way cheaper than a new ride and this thing will easily last me another 11 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.