At wits end PO380 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At wits end PO380

I have done everything been through two relays, ohm d the glow plugs they all passed. Looked at my EOT with AE. Checked the grounds on the truck there good..... If i hook the two small wires up the glow plugs come on and stay on even when i cut the truck off. I dunno what else to do but check the harnesses under the valve covers...... anybody got any suggestions ?? I need help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The GPR is controlled by the PCM providing ground to the relays coil when it decides the GPs are necessary. When the Key is ON 12v is supplied to that coil (this is all about those sm wires of course)

What you describe would require BOTH the path to ground ground to be present in one wire AND the supply of 12v despite the Key being OFF!

I can't imagine what could cause those two things to be happening simultaneously...

So, first - are you sure that's what's going on?

Second - could you have wires connected in a Really "screwy" way (NOT just backwards or anything, that wouldn't matter, I mean cross-connected or something)?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM

I figured it out the relays i was getting could not handle the amps, the stancor done the trick !!! Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I have been preaching the Stancor relay for many years. Still surprises me how many still buy the factory and Napa crap relays. If it is wired properly one large stud will have constant 12 volt power and the other will have power when the key is turned on, for how long depends on a couple factors.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 AM

At wits end PO380

I'd love to put a stancor in. But to get one here in Canada or shipped to me I'm looking at 150-170 with shipping taxes and duty. I've bought one from napa. Bluestreak brand maybe ? It's got 3 year unlimited mile warranty free replacement any time in that three years

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I have been preaching the Stancor relay for many years. Still surprises me how many still buy the factory and Napa crap relays. If it is wired properly one large stud will have constant 12 volt power and the other will have power when the key is turned on, for how long depends on a couple factors.
Trust me NChornet... if i was not stationed in Guam it would have been done a long time ago. But once i realized the relay was bad, it was the factory one by the way from 98 and i did not have time order the stancor when it went bad. I got frustrated and started buying crap from napa, never doing that again. I hate having a broken truck lol. Should have taped the wires up and waited until it got here, not like i need glowplugs here never gets below 75. But my next duty station there a must !!! PA IS cold !!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlinB View Post
I'd love to put a stancor in. But to get one here in Canada or shipped to me I'm looking at 150-170 with shipping taxes and duty. I've bought one from napa. Bluestreak brand maybe ? It's got 3 year unlimited mile warranty free replacement any time in that three years

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That's a good warranty Catlinb but warranty is not worth crap at 5:00 in the morning and your truck wont start, when your relay gives out and your late to work because of it. There has to be a way you can get one cheaper than that !!! There only 50 $ bucks on mouser i cant see a 100 $ in taxes. But if i lived in Canada id pay that much to have the piece of mind the stancor will give you. When you hold the relay in your hand it just screams quality !!!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyStroker606 View Post
That's a good warranty Catlinb but warranty is not worth crap at 5:00 in the morning and your truck wont start, when your relay gives out and your late to work because of it. There has to be a way you can get one cheaper than that !!! There only 50 $ bucks on mouser i cant see a 100 $ in taxes. But if i lived in Canada id pay that much to have the piece of mind the stancor will give you. When you hold the relay in your hand it just screams quality !!!
i need one bad, im getting tired of having to go tap the damn thing to get it to start every morning. i live with a girl from the states,(she goes to Vet school with my g/f). and she said she could get her parents to bring it to me if i shipped it to there house, but that wont be til the middle of may... so im prob gonna have to shell out the 70 for the 3 year warranty one. iv seen pics of the stancor and would love to get my hands on one. local parts stores/electric shops can get me the relay but same thing its priced at $200 bucks or more....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.